More condos coming between 8th and 9th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More condos coming between 8th and 9th

I am hearing from my super that the building which currently houses the bike shop on 14th between 8th and 9th is soon to be turned into condos. The new owners will build more stories on top of the current structure.

Re: More condos coming between 8th and 9th

Originally posted by dpny
    I am hearing from my super that the building which currently houses the bike shop on 14th between 8th and 9th is soon to be turned into condos. The new owners will build more stories on top of the current structure.
    when in doubt build luxury condos for the super rich? There is certainly not enough astronomically priced real estate in the area to choose from already, let's give the super rich some more options already, sheesh. Be rich. Be very, very rich.
    In any event, thanks for the info. dpny.

Comment

Hey you guys - be happy! The more living units that are built - whether condos or apartments, the more pressure they eventually put on market prices such as rents. Only when all the demand is met will prices have a chance at coming down. So this situation here is really a good one. Because they're building more units - but no one has to put up with the building of a whole new building - or worry about their views getting blocked. If we could have thousands of more units added to the housing market in this same way - it'd be a win-win for everybody. Eventually.

Comment

and i guess that'll take care of the "screaming kids"?

Comment

Originally posted by virtualpleasure
          when in doubt build luxury condos for the super rich? There is certainly not enough astronomically priced real estate in the area to choose from already, let's give the super rich some more options already, sheesh. Be rich. Be very, very rich.
          In any event, thanks for the info. dpny.
          Here, here "Virtual!" More for the rich and uber-privileged to choose from. Yuck! What about all the existing brownstones and other older buildings that need fixin' up and should be renovated? Our neighborhood (a bit of it anyway), has a history. Do we forsake our Chelsea charm for the sake of the developer? What's next? Block out the entire view of the river with superstructures such as the hideous Chelsea Arts Building on 25th Street? I used to be able to see most of the Hudson between like 31st Street down to 24th Street from my balcony. But not anymore; and, it just makes me ill. Now they're going to over-develop the entire High Line area which will completely block my view all together. Again, it just makes me ill. Okay, I'm on a rant. But at least I have a forum to vent in. Whew! I feel much better now. : )

Comment

Originally posted by 14and9
            and i guess that'll take care of the "screaming kids"?
            Oh my goodness! Do they have to yelp at the top of their lungs? What is that?

I have the very same problem on my block as well. I live on a higher floor in Penn South. Between the incessant honking of horns on Friday and Sat. eves. until like 5 A.M., and the club kids screaming and laughing so all of Chelsea can hear them, I'm not sure which is worse. Aren't we supposed to have some sort of noise ordenance or something? Look, I used to go out at all hours myself and hang out at the clubs back in the day. I'm no fuddy-duddy. But, I was usually too clubbed out to scream and yell by the end of the night. Oh well...wishful thinking.

Comment

Hey CC69 - I know what you mean - I got a view on 24th to the east and now with a hi rise condo going up on 6th ave/25th it is virutally blocking the really great gold tower of the New York Life building - Used to look great from my terrace all lit up at nite. Someone said awhile back sooner or later Penn South will be totally surrounded by high rises with absolutely no views. Im beginning to believe it

Comment

Working...
              X