CON ED EXPLOSION ON W 14TH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CON ED EXPLOSION ON W 14TH

There was a manhole or Con Ed substation explosion on W. 14th between 7th and 8th, in front of the Crispo Restaurant. Sounded like fireworks but we could see traffic turning around and people running away from it. Flames and smoke pouring out of this hole in the pavement. There is a Con Ed truck parked in front of it and sawhorse barriers which indicates men were working there before this happened about 11:45 pm. Hope they were not trapped inside. There are lots of firemen here but they do not approach it, as though they are waiting for it to burn out.

Re: Con Ed explosion on w. 14th

RG - great reporting work there. I just talked to Joe Petta in the Con Ed press office and he said he was totally unaware of it - this about an hour after you reported it happened. NY1 said they are aware of it but they haven't reported on it yet. I haven't heard any reports of it on 1010 Wins or seen any reports on any of the NY newspaper web sites.

I told Mr. Petta he could look at this site to read your report and he said, "no, I'm not going to get up and go over there and turn the computer on for that." He sounded real sleepy.

Anyway, great report and looks like thanks to you - this is the first media outlet in the city to make this news public tonight. And thanks to you the Con Ed press office now knows about it! Great work Con Ed.

Comment

Re: CON ED EXPLOSION ON W 14TH

Update: A fire department official confirmed to me that there was indeed a "fairly large fire and explosion". When I asked him for details, how big, whether anyone was hurt, etc. he quickly spit out the phone number for FD headquarters and very abruptly hung up. I called the HQ number and of course they're not there until tomorrow.

A 311 operator also confirmed there was a Con Ed explosion. I just now called Con Ed spokesperson Joe Petta back and he still knows nothing about it. He said "that's probably because there was a major thing going on at 81st St."

Sounds like they have a lot of "major" things going on tonight! Maybe it's the heat.

Comment

Con Ed spokesperson, Joe Petta just called me back to say he's just now gotten some information on what happened. (Two hours after the fact). He said a Con Ed construction crew hit a secondary cable and shorted it out. He said, "there were no injuries, no outages and no property damage". He seemed a little embarassed that I (this guy from a web site he's never heard of) knew about it before he did and he explained that, "the reason they didn't tell me anything about it is because it was a big nothing - that's it - it was a big nothing."

Geesh, talk about spin! "A big nothing" is what the Con Ed spokesperson calls something the fire department called "a fairly large fire". "A big nothing" is what the Con Ed spokesperson calls flames and smoke pouring out of a manhole that had people and traffic scurrying to get away from it! So, there you have it folks, your Con Ed officials - that's what they think of us. A "fairly large fire" is nothing more than "a big nothing" to them.

I'm glad no one was hurt, I'm glad there was no property damage or outages, but I'm sorry... when your public electric utility's construction crew accidentally digs into one of those giant cables and shorts it out, creating a "fairly large fire" - that's not a big nothing! That's a big mistake! And it's a mistake that could have easily led to injury, property damage and outages. They were simply lucky that it didn't. The fact they had this accident on W 14th and apparently something even worse on E 81st in the same night doesn't say much for their competence.

Oh, and by the way, I still haven't heard this story reported ANYWHERE else. While NY1 says they know about it, they haven't bothered to interrupt their endless loop of re-runs to break in with it. 1010 Wins apparently doesn't know anything about it at all. And none of the newspaper web sites have reported on it.

Just where do you go in this town to get late night breaking news!? I never realized that there simply isn't any "local breaking news" in NYC late at night. Seems all the media outlets are stuck in re-runs at this hour. I haven't seen or heard anything about the 81st St mishap either. Guess we'll have to wait till morning on that one as there are as yet - no clickYourBlock.com members there!

So thank you "RetiringGuy" for bringing this news to those of us who live closest to it. If not for you it's quite possible none of us would have ever known about it - including the Con Ed spokesperson! We may have to bring you out of retirement if you keep producing good work like this!

Comment

Why did Con Ed START jackhammering at 11:40 PM? Any regulations about noise at this hour?

Looking forward to a lot more drilling after this fire!

Comment

Yeah, what is it about NY1? I'm surprised that they don't report on certain things. I remember when the lights went out on 16th Street (between 7 & 9th) due to an underground fire a couple of years ago, there was no reporting done about it at all. Those endless loops and reruns are not very useful. Also, as far as ConEd is concerned, right before the aforementioned fire of a couple of years ago, the lights in my building were flickering madly. When I called ConEd about it, they told me that I needed to contact my landlord and hung up on me. Not 10 minutes later the entire block was dark.

Comment

Right, this was no small mishap. My husband and I were woken up by the fireworks we thought we heard outside. When I looked out the window and saw all the smoke I quickly got dressed and went downstairs to see what was going nuts on our block. What a scene -- it looked like a direct access point to hell. The ConEd guys were just standing around with the firemen doing nothing. No one seemed to have a plan and it wasn't dying down. After watching the blaze and sparks for about 15 minutes we went home. Before we did, my husband couldn't resist giving the thumbs-up "On it!" sign to the ConEd guy walking by.

Comment

You're darn right this was no small mishap! I mean even if nothing came of it, even if no one was hurt (thank God), it still was no small mishap. Sounds like people could have easily been hurt and it was only luck that prevented it. It certainly wasn't Con Ed's great work and expertise that prevented it.

Anytime something results in an explosion and a big fire under the street, that's no a small mishap! Shouldn't we know about all of Con Ed's dangerous "mishaps" anyway? I'm really surprised this wasn't reported anywhere. In fact, if not for this web site, I wouldn't even know about it!

Grace, that's hilarious - your husband giving the thumbs-up "On it" sign to the Con Ed guy! I pictured that in my mind while I read it and it made me laugh outloud!

Comment

Don't you just love how they didn't bother to fix the burnt wires?!

Con Ed just shoveled dirt into the hole and stuck down some horribly noisy metal plates with tar around the edges. So now the noise continues day and night, as cars roll over those plates.

Evidently they just shifted the power load to other cables, which will probably explode soon too.

Comment

Call 311 and report it as a noise complaint. They are really unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                    X