Fresco Tortilla Taco closing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresco Tortilla Taco closing?

I had heard about this possibility from Ranchgirl at the first meetup. Can anyone confirm? Say it ain't so! It has been one of my faves for good+quick+cheap food for years!

Re: Fresco Tortilla Taco closing?

If this is the place on 14th next to Fat Sal's pizza, I always thought the board of health would close the place. It doesn't look to clean, sort of like the Fast Wok on 7th avenue.
    roby2000

Comment

By the way you guys - you can look up any restaurant here and get their health rating form the NYC Dept of Health:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/rii/index.shtml

And roby - looks like you're right about this place. They had 20 points in the last inspection with some pretty serious sanitary violations. In other words, it's not just administrative violations they were given the points for, like not having signs posted properly and BS like that. It was actual health violations they had. And in the inspection before last they had 24 points!

The DOH doesn't typically consider these violations too noteworthy until they get to be 14 or above. So, this place definitely isn't looking too clean.

Here are their more serious violations (I left out the first one about their not posting signs - who cares?)
      1. Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
      2. Thawing procedures improper.
      3. Pesticide use not in accordance with label or applicable laws. Prohibited chemical used/stored. Open bait station used.
      4. Evidence of flying insects or live flying insects present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
      5. Plumbing not properly installed or maintained; anti-siphonage or backflow prevention device not provided where required; equipment or floor not properly drained; sewage disposal system in disrepair or not functioning properly.

Comment

I always notice the windows of a place like this. If they can't clean the grease off the inside of the windows and the public areas, imagine what the kitchen is like...phew! Sorry, partyhopper, bu this place is gross.
        roby2000

Comment

Originally posted by tarmill
          By the way you guys - you can look up any restaurant here and get their health rating form the NYC Dept of Health:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/rii/index.shtml
          I'll tell you, this has been the baine of my existance all morning! This site is telling me, basically, that every place I love just barely passed inspection. Gross! So nasty! Aww man, I can't cook for myself, what am I to do?!?

Comment

Fitz: Have you ever tried the L&M Deli on 7th and 15th? Everything is fresh and clean and you can get great sandwiches, wraps rotisserie chickens, etc. So, if cooking is a problem...L&M may be able to help. Also, Westside Market also has tons of prepared stuff, but is more expensive than getting a fast food fix at Fresco Tortilla.
            roby2000

Comment

I used to go to Westside Market all the time until I got sushi there and it was disgusting. I haven't been there since they took the scaffolding down. I don't think I've tried L&M though, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Check out Fresh Direct. They have great prepared foods, eat and heat dishes, and groceries. It's worth the small delivery charge and they bring it right to your apartment. You can usually get delivery overnight and can stock your fridge for a week or two.
                Also their produce and meats are good. Once, the eggs I got were broken and when I told them they just credited my bill, no questions asked.

http://www.freshdirect.com/departmen...d=hmr&trk=home

Comment

Wow! What a resourceful site! I'm going to email my friends the link! So that Fresco Tortilla place closed! YAY! It was such an eyesore and just so dirty...I only went in once to get a snapple and vowed never to go in again. But I heard that a dunkin donuts/baskin robins was looking at it...ugh just what we need on this block...another donut shop. Well, we'll see what happens.

Comment

no new news on what will replace fresco, yet..? There's already a donut shop a couple of doors down from there, so let's hope for something with more utility than that..

Comment

Working...
                    X