Hi Neighbors! (14th bet 7th & 8th)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Neighbors! (14th bet 7th & 8th)

Hi everyone! I think this forum is SUCH a fun, good idea! Maybe we can all finally meet our neighbors now! Well, at least virtually!

I don't think I've knowingly ever talked to someone who lives on this block, now that I think about it. Wow! I've lived here 3 years now and just know some of my neighboors in my building. Well, I'm looking forward to chatting with some more of my neighbors! I live on the north side facing the inside of the block...there's a daycare on 15th street that lets the kids out in the courtyard at 8:45, 1pm, and 4pm every weekday...sometimes it drives me nuts to hear all those kids screaming. Especially when I'm trying to sleep in...anyone know what I'm talking about?

I bet a lot of people on this block live in The Sequoia...I've never been in there. Always wondered about that building. Does it have a sunroof? Oh, and I guess you guys in the Sequoia are officially West Villagers too...funny!

Aren't you glad they renovated the Associated? I can actually bare to go in there now for a few minutes. Although, I prefer the West Side Market.

And what's up with our block...how come we don't really have nice fun hang out spots and good restaurants on 14 bw 7-8th...(compared to say Greenwhich bw 7-8th) Anyone try Woody McHales? I've only been there twice since it opened. I mean it's ok, at least it's CLEAN--HEY much better than Flannery's...which, I've never stepped foot into except to use the bathroom, once. I guess if you go to Woody's with friends, maybe for a game (for the guys) it could be fun. But do any of us "locals" actually go there? I wonder?

We all DO live on a great block though. "VERY convenient" as we all say...well, I say that, at least...

Ok, I feel like I'm trying WAY to hard to start up a conversation here (I'm almost embarrassed)...Your turn!!! OH! I have a CRAZY story to tell next time I post -- about Pan's Laundry place that burnt up 2 Christmas' ago...anyone remember that?

Re: Hi Neighbors!

Hey Ranchgirl! Glad to have you here! And great post to start off with! I wanted to mention that someone else was complaining about a school with screaming kids - but I'm not sure if it's the same school. If you live on 14th bet 7th & 8th - they live on 15th bet 8th & 9th - so I guess that couldn't be the same. But anyway, you can find their blog in the 15-16th St bet 8th & 9th area. Or you can just click here: Screaming Kids Village Chelsea Preschool W14ST

Comment

Re: Hi Neighbors! (14th bet 7th & 8th)

I guess the bright side is our block's convenience. I've lived here for 2 years after living for years and years on 22nd b/t 8th and 9th. I feel like I moved to a different universe. The noise, the filth, the derelicts.... This block needs an active block association that will work to improve things.

Comment

Hi Everyone:

I've been living on the block for about 9 months, and so far I love it! As mentioned before - you can't beat the convenience and easy walks to Chelsea, W. Village, and even E. Village.

Just "discovered" the Hudson River Park the other weekend. I had never ventured over there before. Seems nice. I gotta go back with my rollerblades or else a blanket and a good book and lay out on the grass.

I live on the south side of the street (not the Sequoia, though). I haven't had much problem at all with noise - but two of the apartments in my building got broken into a few months back. Both were on the inside (not facing the street) towards a courtyard. Apparently the thief got in through open windows and stole some things like laptops, jewelry. So be sure to double-check and lock up before you go out. Theft certainly does happen.

I guess Associated has looked about the same since I moved in. I'm doing most of my shopping these days at Trader Joe's on W. 14th and 3rd. We used to have Trader Joe's in New England and I'm so glad to have them here in NYC now too -- and so close!

I have been over to Woody McHale's. The people who work there are really nice, and they've got some great hamburgers there too. Tried it on the weekend (but only once) and it was really frat-boy-ish for my tastes, but I have enjoyed my food and times there the 3 or so times I've been there during the week when it's more low-key.

Looking forward to talking with more of you soon. This is a great idea.

Comment

Hey, does Trader Joe's deliver? It's a bit of a walk from there to our block if you've got a lot of stuff.

Comment

I think Trader Joe's they deliver for a fee (something like $4.95 or 5.95) - there's a sign up in the store that says what they charge. Yes, it is a bit of a walk from our area, but you can always catch the bus which stops right across the street from Trader Joes and then get off right on our block. That's what I do and it's pretty convenient.

Comment

When is the best time to go to Trader Joe's when it's not too crowded? I went there the other day, and it was a mob scene. I just turned around and walked out! Any suggestions?

Comment

Definitely not the weekends - very crowded then. Try an "off" night like Monday or Tuesday which seem to be a little tamer.

Comment

Thanks, yup!

Comment

Working...
                  X