Dirty Water?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Water?

Anyone else getting dirty water tonight, 10/17/08? I've been getting cloudy, brown water since around 5:00pm. Not sure if it's from work in the building or in the Chelsea area. Have had this before, but never for such a long period.
    Buy LOCAL, non-franchise!

Re: Dirty Water?

Not me.

Comment

I'm not getting dirty water, but I'm not taking any more chances. I bought a Brita filter and it does a very nice job -- though I don't think I'd want to send brown water through it...yech! I got the small pitcher. You put the filter in the pitcher and just fill it and unless it's mind over matter it did make the water taste better.

Comment

I've used the Brita pitcher for years. The water does taste so much better. I have the older rounded pitcher which takes up a lot of room in the fridge. I see now that they have a more compact model, maybe I'll make get that one.

Comment

our building usually does not get the brown water. Brita is a good choice instead of buying bottled water saving bucks and the environment

Comment

I have been getting brown water all day as well. It is a constant problem in my building. I think I see brown water flowing from the faucets at least once every two weeks for the past four years. I always report the problem to maintenance. They claim that they flush the line frequently. Have you ever smelled chlorine/bleach when your faucets are open? I think that is how they flush the line.

Has anyone ever paid to get their water tested? I stopped drinking tap water more than a year ago. I am just not comfortable ingesting potentially rusty and sediment filled water.

Comment

I haven't had brown water, but I've definitely had the chlorine/bleach smell in my water too. Sometimes it's been fairly strong. I found this on the front page of the NYC Dept. of Environmental Protection's website tonight:

DEP Service Advisory ? Discolored Water
              Because of routine water system operations conducted by the Department of Environmental Protection, residents in sections of Manhattan may have discolored tap water due to shifting sediments in the water main. This water is safe to drink and does not require boiling, but washing clothes with discolored water may tint or stain garments. If sediment is present in the water, let it settle before drinking.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/home/home.shtml

Ummm...this isn't too reassuring.

Comment

I always smell the chlorine in the tap water so I won't drink it. Occasionally I have brown water. Thanks for the Environmental link. That's very interesting. I wonder if it even pays to have our water tested. I think the building for water testing is on First Avenue and 27th or 28th Street.

Comment

I started buying water for the first time in my life because of the over-chlorinated water that I've been getting out of my tap intermittingly over the past year. There were times when it was so bad, I could barely stand taking a shower. Even my pets are drinking Poland Spring nowadays.

Comment

The brown water is mostly minerals in the water when the pipes are disturbed - old pipes collect it and when work is done it is disturbed and dislodges. Some of it is iron oxide from old steel pipes... usually harmless, but gross and can stain clothing.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007...eehugger_4.php

BTW folks - bottled water is environmentally bad, it's heavy, costs a lot to transport, costs more that gasoline... get a good filter. We pay a lot for treated publicly financed cheap water. NYC has some of the best tap in the country.

Comment

OK, the water is STILL brown and I have to say that it smells bad as well. I'm not talking chlorine smell, but a rotten smell. I hate to brush my teeth with this stuff, let alone shower in it. Must be something to do with the building of no one else is getting this...
                      Buy LOCAL, non-franchise!

Comment

Working...
                      X