Help: Street Fair Vendor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Street Fair Vendor

I bought a set of bed linens from a vendor at the 14th St. Street Fair today (between 7th & 8th Aves). In the past, I have had good experiences with fairs and basic merchandise like this. But when I looked at the sheets after I got home, they are terrible quality--not the quality/brand listed on the packaging. They are poorly stitched, frayed, dirty.

Does anyone know how to complain about this and/or get a list of the vendors at this particular fair. The city should know that instead of drawing more people to the fairs, instead I won't go anymore.

Thanks.

Re: Help: Street Fair Vendor

I don't know the answer to your question but I will say I have gotten imperfect sheets at street fairs in the past. I found a decent inexpensive sheet set at target recently that did not break the bank. The set I got was not a print but in a nice solid color for I think 20 bucks complete queen size with 2 pillow cases, flat and fitted sheet. If you don't drive there is a target via path train in Jersey City just a few blocks from Pavonia station and the newport center mall. The path is cheaper then takingthe nyc subway. It's a fast trip from Chelsea.

Comment

After a wee bit of detective work, I do believe the promoter of that event was Clearview Festival Promotions:

http://www.clearviewfestival.com/

Give them a holler and let them know what happened.

Comment

Hopefully Clearview will be give you the name of the vendor . If not, Community Board 4 issued the permit for this fair to St. Bernard Church. One of the functions of CB4 is to help with complaints.
        http://www.manhattancb4.org/pdf_file...hure_Final.pdf

Comment

Please report back and let us know how it all pans out, nyny. I am curious to learn what kind of recourse consumers have when they make purchases at this kind of street event. I do not personally believe that just because a person has bought something at a low price means they should have fewer rights as a consumer.

Comment

Excellent detective work! Thanks to both posters for helpful information and leads.

Comment

I fell for this sheet scam a few years back. I chalked it up to the fact that they were so inexpensive ($10 each, I believe). I was so embarrassed when I opened them up in front of my boyfriend and found that they were thin and frayed, too! Learned that lesson. I think they assume that no one will come back and complain, and if they do, the buyer is long gone.

Buyer beware!
              www.shardsofglass.etsy.com, www.shardsofglassmosaics.blogspot.com

Comment

You reminded me of when, I bought pillows at a street fair about 7 years ago, when I went to use them they smelled so bad (the down) that I threw them out. It was the last time I ever bought anything at a street fair.

Comment

I guess you need to be more careful what you should buy at a street fair but for the most part you can do well. I personally enjoy the food but then again I am picky who I go to. There is this one french crepe place that is great and is run by a mother and her sons as they can be at 3 street fairs at the same time. She used to run a restaurant and she has like this wonderful spinach and cheese crepes. I would stay awayfrom the bag people as they are probably designer copies. Sometimes I see beautiful crafty sterling jewlery and I usuallly ask for a card as theseare true artisians but there is also just the sterling vendor making a buck etc. There is also a guy who owns a greek specialty business who has wonderful homemade yoghurt and other things like spinach pie in the better variety then other stands. He has a store uptown by the way.

Comment

I do a lot of shopping at street fairs and I'm about as careful as I guess one can be at those things. I think there's a lesson here though -- if we buy merchandise that's wrapped then perhaps we should open the package while we're still at the stand. I don't think any vendor can refuse to let us open something *after* we've paid, of course, and then if there's any damage they should be responsible. I might even carry my little digital camera if I need a photo of them or their vendor license number. I've also bought sheets at those fairs and had a little better luck -- they were in OK shape and lasted longer than I thought -- but they were very thin and the elastic on the fitted sheets was pretty flimsy. I got what I paid for but I learned my lesson.

Some vendors, however, are very reliable. Unfortunately, a lot of the merchandise that comes in now is so cheaply made that you can even get poor quality at decent stores -- but there of course you're more likely to get your money back -- just the inconvenience and maybe the extra carfare for having to bring the stuff back.

Comment

Working...
                    X