gracious home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gracious home

Passed by the new gracious home on 6th Avenue today and walked in to take a look. The place is set up sp nice but sort of expensive. The polycare for my polyurothane floor was more money then bath bad and beyond I think but thats the only other place I have seen it. Good place for gifts. Nice just to walk in and browse.

Re: gracious home

Not to be a pessimist, but that's a HUGE space in a bad housing market and tanking economy. I wish them the very best.

Comment

Gracious Homes is definitely a high-end store. They have huge stores on the upper east side and west side. Comparing them to Bed, Bath & Beyond is like apples and oranges. Gracious Homes comes in handy when there is a particular item you need that most other stores don't carry. If GH doesn't have it, they will likely order it for you. Of course, you pay more but it's an advantage to have them for that reason. If you had to order the item on-line, it might be cheaper but you would be paying shipping charges. Gracious Homes in Chelsea will definitely be a benefit to the luxury hi-rises all around them in Chelsea & vice versa. There were times when I traveled to the upper east side or west side for an item I couldn't find. While I don't expect to be doing much shopping there, I hope they do well and if I need them, I won't have to travel too far.

Comment

A few weeks ago I went to Gracious Homes on the Upper East Side to buy doorknobs; what I wanted cost $48. I wound up buying the exact same item (same manufacturer, same part number, same packaging etc) at a hardware store on Eighth Avenue for $14. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

.......yeah, that's what I mean. That's really a very big difference if, as you say, it was the same everything, and not from a different manufacturer or size or anything, including defective.

Comment

Same EVERYTHING, and not defective.

Comment

you say the hardware store is on 8th Ave. Is it the one around the 20's on 8th - eastside -- the name slips my mind but I go there now and then because it's in the nabe?

Comment

Gracious home caters to the wealthy who have NO idea how to comparison shop. They shop there, then go home and throw their wallets in the fireplace. I worked on the upper east side and sometimes had to go in there to run errands. Way overpriced for certain items. With so many stores all over the country closing, this opening is kinda shocking. Best of luck to them. They'll need it.
                www.shardsofglass.etsy.com, www.shardsofglassmosaics.blogspot.com

Comment

Well people living in the new highrisers near there and in that building can well afford their prices. It'd just another store to browse. Not for the average Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisNYC1213 View Post
                    Gracious home caters to the wealthy who have NO idea how to comparison shop.
                    I agree with what you're saying, but I think it would be more accurate to say those who have no idea of "value."

Comment

I have to laugh at the comments left by JoJe, ChrisNYC1213 and Momjo.

JoJe, there is nothing about those buildings that would even suggest luxury high-rise. While they may be 20 stories plus and expensive [to rent], the buildings are complete and utter crap [for christ's sake they have retail on the ground floor. How many times have you seen that on Park?]. The only people who live there now will soon be leaving because their low level jobs at Goldman's are gone [or soon to be] or their Euros aren't worth what they were a year ago. So much for Crappy [ Gracious?] Home's prospects.

Momjo, see above. From what I've seen most of the "luxury" one bedroom rentals are shared by two or more recent college grads just starting their brilliant careers in finance, rely on parent's financial guarantees to be accepted and have huge debt loads from school. How much disposable income do you think will be allocated to that "lovely polyester fur-like throw which co-ordinates so well with that oversize loveseat/ottoman combo" once the MTA raises the fare to three bucks and "Muffy" realizes thet price of organic millet just went up at Whole Foods and a Cosmo [Carrie and I have so much in common !] is $15.00, not to mention Amex's lovely little monthly letters that basically say in the nicest of terms "Bitches, We want our money" . So long Manolo's, hello mommy's basement.

ChrisNYC1213, as the boyfriend of an architect who works on real luxury residential projects in Manhattan, I can assure you that the wealthy are not "burning their money" on hardware [or anything else] at Gracious Home. The really rich don't buy their own hardware, they order it through the architect or decorator at Nanz or Guerin or Dornbracht.

I don't want to come across as bitchy, but what I'm really trying to say is don't belive the hype. Chelsea was never the upper east side [thank god] and no matter how much smoke, brokers/merchants or restauranteurs try to blow up your ***, it never will be. They're trying to sell you what isn't necessary [and for that matter not even very good].

Comment

Working...
                      X