Brand-Spankin'-New Bus Shelter Already Destroyed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand-Spankin'-New Bus Shelter Already Destroyed

Have you noticed new bus shelters being installed in the area? Well, this morning I noticed that the one on 23rd bet. 6th & 7th outside of Garden of Eden -- which was just finished last week -- is already shattered,

almost the entire glass is now in shards on the sidewalk. Doesn't look like an accident... someone clearly smashed this on purpose, probably in the wee hours of today. Sheesh! I wonder if there are any security cameras in that area that might have caught the perp....

Re: Brand-Spankin'-New Bus Shelter Already Destroyed

I saw one somewhere else in the area earlier this week, don't remember exactly where. I thought it was really nice. Too bad some a-hole had to destroy the one on 23rd!

Comment

This city is out of control.

Comment

I'll sum it up in one word: THUGS!!!!!

Comment

I am not crazy about the new bus shelters, they look smaller than the old ones. I notice that they have a screen above the advertisment. I read that the city would be placing a computer chip on the bus that signals the shelters; which would then read out the approximate time of arrival. I'll believe it when I see it. What is the distance they are supposed to project from and will it work in rain or snow?

Comment

The other day I walked by and they were installing new glass. I asked the workers if the perpetrator had been discovered, they said no.

Comment

That would be awesome if they put some kind of time estimator on the bus stops. In Paris they have them in the subways. There's a countdown clock in each station that tells you how long until the next train. It's really a great thing because you know how a 5 minute wait can seem like 20 minutes if you have no idea how long it's going to be. In Paris it'll say "5:00 minutes" (okay it doesn't say "minutes"!), but it makes the waits so much more bearable.

So many things happen in NY neighborhoods that if someone's not there watching at the moment it happens the perpetrator will never be caught. Like the woman who just posted that her mom was hit by a car last night... a hit and run.

I've been thinking about this for awhile but it would be cool if we could get together a group of volunteers to do a neighborhood watch thing. I've heard of that in cities around the country where the neighbors get together and either several volunteer and they somehow end up keeping a 24-hour watch on the neighborhood, or they contribute to a fund and they hire a security guard to patrol the neighborhood all night. I don't see us doing that, but there are so many of us here there must be a bunch of night owls who are routinely up all night. I would volunteer an hour at night to walk around a few-block area around my place. I don't know, maybe it's too big of a job! Now that I think about it!

Comment

These new bus stops are a joke. How do you design a shelter with a 9-foot ceiling that does nothing to keep the rain out, and then fancy unframed glass that blocks access anyway. This might work in, say, parts of Europe, but not in rough-and-tumble New York City. They looked a lot better in the renderings, too. The old ones were better.

The conspiracy, so I've heard, is that the owners are breaking the glass themselves, so that they can be paid to replace them at a premium.
                www.shardsofglass.etsy.com, www.shardsofglassmosaics.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by chelseachick69 View Post
                  I'll sum it up in one word: THUGS!!!!!

I agree! Is nothing sacred anymore?

Comment

They are pretty and hi-tech looking but, I was waiting in one in a sudden downpour and I had to duck in a nearby doorway since the very short and very high roof on the shelter didn't keep out a drop of rain. Who the heck designs these things anyway?
                    roby2000

Comment

Originally posted by roby2000 View Post
                      They are pretty and hi-tech looking but, I was waiting in one in a sudden downpour and I had to duck in a nearby doorway since the very short and very high roof on the shelter didn't keep out a drop of rain. Who the heck designs these things anyway?
                      Silly, these bus shelters are designed for the next generation, where everyone will be 8 feet tall. You didn't know that?
                      www.shardsofglass.etsy.com, www.shardsofglassmosaics.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                      X