Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me and Bobby Blow

Me and Bobby Blow by Sherri Rosen 04/06/2006

I was walking down the steps to the downtown train at West 23rd Street & 7th Avenue. I heard a trumpet being played and someone singing. As I got to the bottom of the stairs, I see this guy sitting on a bench facing me as I was slipping my Metrocard through the turnstyle.

He seem to be around 70 years old, white hair, thin, black sunglasses, black skin, obviously blind, and singing Nat King Cole’s song “When I Fall In Love.” When I was a little girl, to me Nat King Cole was my fantasy dad, because he had such a beautiful, calming voice, and I always felt he was singing just for me. I stood there and listened to the man playing and singing and the next thing I knew, I began singing along with him. “It will be forever, or I’ll never fall in love again. And the moment that I feel that you feel that way too is when I’ll fall in love with you.” By this time I was standing right in front of him and we ended the song together. He had such a surprised look on his face when he heard someone joining him in song. I reached out and touched his hand. He looked up at me as though he could see and said, “You must be gorgeous!” I said to him, “You can see.”
    He said, “No, I’m blind.”...
    click here for the rest of the story
Working...
X