The Upper 20's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Upper 20's

As we all know 6th ave in the Upper 20's is just one new high rise, every block. It really looks like the UWS.
    I have seen quite a bit of gentrification on the side streets between 6th and 7th ave in the upper 20's but very little between 5th and 6th aves. Does anyone know why? is there different zoning on each side of 6th ave?

Re: The Upper 20's

That's a great question BobW22. Perhaps, I would compelled, to do some research on this. I'm going to see if the "Zoning Commission" has any useful info on this. I'll let y'all know if they do. "Avenue vs. Side Streets." Is that right?

"CC"

Comment

Thanks, yes. What web site are checking?

Comment

I checked out www.us.gov. Then you just click on the City Planning link.

Comment

This area is part of what is sometimes called Ladies Mile. On August 12, 2004 Ladies Mile was rezoned from Manufacturing (M1-6M) to Commercial with as-of-right residential construction and conversion (C6/4A) (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/lad...esmile1.shtml).

Lately, due of the rezoning, a number of new construction projects have started on the side streets between 5th and 6th from 17th to 22nd. Prior to August 12, 2004 there weren't any new residential construction projects and very few conversions. The 20s between 6th and 7th Avenues was rezoned to encourage housing development on September 9, 1999 as part of the Chelsea rezoning (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/zone/wn111599.shtml). That is why you see the difference in gentrification east and west of 6th Avenue in the 20s.

The magnitude of this difference will most likely decrease in the coming years.

Comment

I am an urban planning student and chelsea resident--
            I am writing a paper on the 1999 zoning change and its affect on the neighborhood over the past eight years. Because of time constraints, most of my research will be a quantitative look at demographic change during this time period, but I would also love some community imput as well. Does anyone remember some of the public reaction to the zoning change in '99 and have an opinion on how it may have changed chelsea--for better or worse? (I know this is a broad question and that there are TONS of threads on gentrification on cyb, but i am specifically focusing on that particular zoning policy). Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
            X