greek church 24th st

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greek church 24th st

the work on the greek church looks great and love hearing the bells toll..

Re: greek church 24th st

I haven't seen it Tasteful10011, but thanks for posting about it. I'll make sure to take notice of it next time I'm down that way.

Comment

I think it looks terrible except for the Icon of its patron saint.

The addition is totally a different style and color from the main church. The "bells" are loudspeakers visible in the "belfry".

They cleaned up & planted the front, but now the front of the church is filled with weeds.

Comment

Personally, I kinda like the sound of the bells (even though they're just speakers. Ahhhh, modern technology...) Kind of makes it more "neighbor-hoody." As far as the new facade goes, I think it's okay.

"CC"

Comment

OMG! No way.. the bells are recordings? That's sooo crazy... Personally, I think churches are really rude to ring their bells ever these days - especially 8am Sunday mornings... Not everybody wants to hear them.

Comment

you must have missed my original thread "Greek Orthodox Add On" back in April.

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned.

Who OK'd this addition? It looks hideous, like a Taco Bell Restaurant. They could have matched the existing brick. Yikes.

And I won't even discuss the new BELL RINGING. There's one they play on the weekends that deludes to Westminister Abbey...that HAS to be a recording...there's like two bells (or are they speakers?) in the new tower.

Sorry, it's kinda annoying....not charming.

Update: And I confirmed that there are in fact TWO SPEAKERS in the bell tower...and not real bells! Unbelievable.

Comment

I don't understand why you guys are making such a big deal out of whether or not the bells are real or speakers? I don't know if you know this but most church "bells" these days are speakers. It's quite common. It's probably really expensive to have real bells and someone to ring them. And Vidis, with all due respect, personally, I love to hear the ringing of church bells, although admittedly maybe not at 8 in the morning! It doesn't really matter to me whether they're real bells or speakers. It sounds the same and it's a beautiful sound.

It doesn't seem right to rag on a church for not having real bells if you don't complain about other uses of technology by organizations that aren't churches. Does anyone ever complain that musicians use microphones and speakers instead of projecting their voice the old fashion way? Or that most of the music we hear is recorded and played through speakers? In the 30s music on the radio was played by live musicians. But I never hear anyone complain today that it's all recorded. Not sure why anyone would be bothered that a church would use modern technology.

Comment

"Not sure why anyone would be bothered that a church would use modern technology."

No one is really making a big deal out of the speaker vs. "real" issue Charles. All we're doing, is just making conversation here on this topic.

Personally, I think bells add a much-needed and missed touch to a neighborhood. It is (especially in the "overly developed" nabe that IS Chelsea), a reminder of when things were a tad more simple and much more "community-oriented." Not the nabe of today: impersonal, colder and much LESS "neigbor-hoody!"

I like 'em whether they're "real or Memorex."

; >

"CC"

Comment

Hi CC! I'm just making conversation too! But they are indeed making an issue of the bells being real or speakers - which I don't understand why it makes any difference. I too enjoy the ringing of bells. I think it's nice.

Originally posted by Vidis View Post
                  OMG! No way.. the bells are recordings? That's sooo crazy...
                  Originally posted by downsideup View Post
                  And I won't even discuss the new BELL RINGING. There's one they play on the weekends that deludes to Westminister Abbey...that HAS to be a recording...there's like two bells (or are they speakers?) in the new tower.
                  Update: And I confirmed that there are in fact TWO SPEAKERS in the bell tower...and not real bells! Unbelievable.

Comment

Yeah it sure does make a for a nice touch for sure. I hope they ring on...There's something calming/soothing about 'em.

Ahhhh....

"CC"

Comment

My original thread was on the renovation and "architecture"...it was only in the following weeks I was being woken up by the bells (sorry, speakers) at 8am on the weekends (my windows face east towards the church)....so on nice nights, I leave my windows open. I will agree that bells can be a relaxing sound, I just don't like it at 8am on a weekends. So between the eyesore of a reno and the loud speakers, I felt the need to mention.

Comment

Hey that's totally cool Downside... That's what this website is all about. I mean we need a place to vent about stuff in the nabe. You never know who your input might help in the future. Even though it may only be a comment, it could potentially be of assistance to someone else. Isn't that what "Community" is all about anyway?

Smiles....

"CC"

Comment

Working...
                        X