Beware: robbery at Chelsea gym

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware: robbery at Chelsea gym

So, i got robbed yesterday at Bally's (6th Ave / 20th Str - NYC)

I was on the treadmill for 10-15mins, and then remembered i left my gloves in the locker, i went to get them and my bag was on the bench with one rollerblade in it. The locker was semi-ajar with the other blade showing, i thought maybe i was so tired and outta it that i left it like that, and prayed that nobody noticed my bag wide open while i was gone, and when i looked in my bag everything was there,

so i went into my wallet and $100 was missing, my lock was gone (not even a clipping left behind) and i asked some people if they saw anything and they said no, so i went to the front desk and they took forever to pay attention to me, so I called 911 myself, then the manager came and took me in the office for a complaint, the cops came and filled another theft complaint. They said they really can't do anything since they didn't take anything besides cash, luckily they left me credit cards, work id, metrocard, license, and a quarter - very generous of them!

They probably won't even investigate it further with the external cameras because there is nothing to distinguish them from any other member - they didn't take my bag or laptop or anything a camera would catch.

The Bally's manager ended up being really apologetic and caring, and the cops were super cool too. They told me to really keep my eye out from now on because things like this often happens from a group of people. One person getting dressed next to you watches what you're doing closely, and when you leave the lockers another person already dressed follows you to make sure you're gonna be busy a while, then bam possibly a third person is there picking the lock.

I usually never carry more than $20 on me, but i was going out to eat right after, and the most ironic part is that i just joined Bally's and decided to leave the Chelsea recreation center/gym because i thought it was getting too ghetto there, and then just what i feared happens anyway.

That's life, innit?

Maybe the thieves will be philanthropic and donate a portion of it to charity ;-)

The Crackhead Fund !

Re: Beware: robbery at Chelsea gym

Bastards. When I go to Bally's, I never put anything of value in the locker - even when it's crowded at night. I don't even bring a wallet, despite Larry's protests that I should have ID on me at all times. (I think that's the law, actually)

You are VERY lucky they didn't take your credit cards. They could have done some serious damage. My ex-boss at Michael Kors got robbed this way and they wiped her out. The cops came to the store and she filled out a police report. (At least I got some eye candy out of it)

I guess the cameras should be INSIDE the locker room, instead of at the entrance.

You should look into using those small black lockers at the front. Harder to steal from those, I think. You just have to pay to use them, but it's worth it.
    www.shardsofglass.etsy.com, www.shardsofglassmosaics.blogspot.com

Comment

Yeah, I never have anything of value in my possession either, just figures this one time. At least they didn't take my purple sequined-furry neglig? I had just purchased from the xxx shop down the street.
      That was fun showing to the cops.
      j/k ;-)

Comment

Hey,

Bummer about the robbery. I have been going to that gym for a long time. It has a fair number of homeless people that use it for bathing and grooming (because they provide a towel and all of the shave cream, etc.)
        You also have a fair amount of guys that don't exercise - they just "lather" a certain part of their body for an hour, looking for attention to what is probably the only thing they have going for them.
        Anyway, the manager - Kole Atherly is a 'can-do' gal and I am glad she was able to look after you. I have asked for cameras in the locker area but they tell me they can't for "privacy reasons". The safest area for lockers is right next to the sinks - too much traffic there to try to steal.
        I don't know what kind of lock you use, but combination locks are usually ignored as they take too long to open.
        It's great to see all of the money they have been investing in the gym - it has improved a lot. Maybe I'll see you on the floor...
        Lars

Comment

Heya Lars,
          They still give towels? I was told when I joined they stopped doing that, but I remember they used to on W32nd.
          Yep, it was a combo lock. It was a locker right by the entrance, where there's tons of traffic - so they must've been pros.
          See ya out there!
          Cheers,
          v

Comment

Ooooops. My BIG mistake. I was talking about the Bally's Sports Club (used to be called Bally's Penta) at 7th And 32nd - I just saw Bally's in the title and forgot to look at the address.
            My bad... I feel like George Bush -
            Lars
            P.S. BSC is a much nicer and well equipped gym, but you might need a different membership to use it.

Comment

Why would Bally's even think of allowing homeless people inside?

Comment

Because they bought a membership.

Comment

A friend of mine has had his locker broken into and credit cards stolen twice in the past year at that Bally's. Although his membership rate is very cheap, he's planning to switch gyms.

Comment

And a friend of mine quit NYSC at 23rd and 8th for 2 locker break-ins. The first ime, got the wallet, then next time nothing, just a broken lock. He went to David Barton because of the thefts and other locker room shenanigans.

Comment

And a friend of mine quit NYSC at 23rd and 8th for 2 locker break-ins. The first ime, got the wallet, then next time nothing, just a broken lock. He went to David Barton because of the thefts and other locker room shenanigans.
                      As a former member of NYSC (8th Ave. primarily) I gotta tell you that in addition to the above, there are MANY more and other reasons why one would want to quit NYSC. They are one SKANKY organization. Better yet -- do yourself a favor and don't sign up with them to begin with so you won't have to end up quitting them in disgust! yuck!

Comment

A few years ago, I was robbed in the same way at the NYSC in Greenwich Village. My wallet was left but all my money was swiped. The people at the front desk tried to convince me that I just hadn't locked my locker--as if I hadn't closed it entirely. Which was bunk. I always check and re-check.

I agree with JoJe. I ended up quitting NYSC because it's poorly maintained dump where machines go weeks without being repaired and even the TVs are jammed with static. Every NYSC that I've been to feels like a MRSA farm.

Comment

Working...
                        X