Return of Superman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of Superman

Just curious if anyone's seen Return of Superman and if so, what you thought? I wasn't really interested until I saw the Sony Imax on the UWS has a 3D version! Except, it's only partially 3D. About 20 minutes total is in 3D. Seems you get a sign several times during the movie that it's time to put the 3D glasses on... sounded a bit awkward. But I love 3D so thought I might give it a shot.

Re: Return of Superman

I went and saw it last Wednesday and it was very entertaining. I am not one for sci-fi or a superhero geek and still enjoyed it. Def. go see it and if you can do the 3D, go for it. I also saw Devil wears Prada and thought that was great as well!

Comment

Re: Return of Superman

Here's some interesting info about the 3D aspect of this from today's Wall Street Journal:

IMAX technicians worked after the fact with a digitized version of the finished movie, using a process the Toronto-based company developed. Sitting at computers, they traced by hand the outlines of all of the objects in a scene that would be given the extra dimension -- like the emergency oxygen bags dropping during a jet's sudden descent. It's a bit like using a mouse in Photoshop to trace the edges of something in a photograph.

Special software processed, then manipulated, those outlined parts of the frame to make them pop out; a kind of extradimensional computer special effect.

Even with computers involved, it's painstaking work. IMAX says that it took 100 people nearly two months to create just 20 minutes' worth of 3-D.

At showtime, special glasses are handed out at the door. When it's time to put them on during the film's 3-D moments, icons of small green glasses blink briefly at the bottom of the screen. I'd love to report that the Man of Steel got better for all the effort, or that the process was leagues ahead of the 3-D of yesteryear, but, alas, that wasn't the case.
      There is an inherent contradiction in the 3-D undertaking.

IMAX brags, rightly, about the remarkable visual experience in one of its theaters: the humongous screen, the projector bulb so bright you could see it with the naked eye on the moon, as the brochure claims. But you are then asked to look at this fantastic image through cheap, fingerprint-covered plastic.

More fundamentally, the actual image on the big screen still suffered from a milder form of what has dogged 3-D from the very beginning: that you are looking at everything through a haze. This problem was compounded in "Superman Returns" by the fact that IMAX chose mostly action sequences for 3-D conversion. Because those scenes tend to be full of jumpy fast cuts, even in 2-D they can be a blur. In 3-D, it was impossible to tell what was supposed to be where.

Comment

Working...
      X