United 93

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United 93

I saw this movie on Friday and was wondering how may other people saw it and what they thought. From my prospective it was a very well made movie and I recommend it.

Re: United 93

How was it? The one thing I heard about it that I really liked is that it's really authentic. They tried to make it as real as possible - even down to having people who were really involved - act in it. I heard that some of the air traffic controllers and others that played a part in 9/11 were actually in the movie - playing themselves. So sounds like it's not your typical fictionalized Hollywood portrayal of an actual event.

Comment

I saw this film last week. I felt obligated to go after hearing many of the family members endorse the film. Thought the director did a great job, was very respectful of everyone involved. Only about a dozen people in attendance at an 11:15 AM showing last Sunday (maybe this isn't what people want to wake up to...) Was surprised to see one man come in with a young girl, maybe 9 or 10 years old. Guess he doesn't want her to forget what happened that day. I don't want to forget either and sure enough, there were a few things that I could no longer recall. Worth seeing.

Comment

I just can't bring myself to see it. I could smell the smoke from 911 in my apt. for months, and I watched a seemingly neverending stream of smoke coming from Ground Zero across the eastern skyline for months. I am still traumatized on some level by the whole thing, and I don't need to watch a movie to tell me what happened. I know what happened, we all know, because we were here.

Comment

phtp2 - I totally understand your feeling, and please don't think I mean this in a bad way because I don't. But I just wanted to point out that this movie is about the plane that crashed in the field in Pennsylvania - it's not about what happened in NYC at the WTC. I'm not nearly as aware of what happened on that plane as I am of what happened here. I wouldn't mind seeing the movie for that very reason.

Comment

Thanks, Tarmill! As you can see, I've barely been paying attention because the whole thing upsets me! Even though it's about the plane that crashed in PA, I still think it would probably be upsetting to me. But we'll see.

Comment

I still can not make up my mind if I want to see the movie. I was planning to see it but when I heard the movie is very intense, I became hesitant to watch it as I knew a flight attendant on UA93.
              In the movie, do they focus on any of the flight attendants?

Comment

A MUST SEE. Very powerful film. And you know what? It really puts all the post-9/11 events into perspective.

Bob - yes the movie does focus a good bit on the flight attendants. It doesn't single out any particular flight attendant, but does give them all a good amount of screen time. I don't know if that will make you not want to see it. It would certainly be understandable if it did. It is in fact quite difficult to watch, even if you didn't know anyone on the flight.

But I think the single biggest thing we can do to dishonor the heroes onboard that flight, including the flight attendants - and your friend, is to forget. And this film was a very powerful reminder of what happened that day. I honestly didn't realize how much I had forgotten about that day until seeing this movie. It was 5 years ago now and so much has slipped from memory.

A remarkable thing happened in the theater at the very end of the film. I saw it at the 34th & 8th Lowes theater - which if you guys have ever been there - you know the audience there can be very routy and rambunctious. And this one was. All during the first two thirds of the movie people were getting up, moving around, talking, etc. Very annoying. But at the very end of the movie, the screen goes to black, then a couple of paragraphs of white text come up telling more about what happened afer this flight crashed. After the last paragraph the screen fades to black and the audio goes to silent. There was a 10-15 second period between that and when the credits started to roll.

This is normally when people start to get up and leave. But tonight, the theater was absolutely dead silent for the entire 10-15 second period (which felt like an eternity). You could literally have heard a pin drop on the floor. I've never heard such silence in such a crowded theater. Not a soul moved from their seat until after the credits started to roll. And even then it took a little time before the first person finally got up.

Very, very moving.

Comment

Working...
                X