Re: London Terrace Street Fair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: London Terrace Street Fair

Did anyone else go to this great street fair today? I try to never miss it...... Aside from having wonderful merchandise both old and new, I love the atmosphere; to me, it's the true soul of Chelsea! People young and old, black, white, and every other color you can think of, fashion people, art people, and just plain regular people, all out together for a perfect fall day in Chelsea. I got a beautiful ring and a pair of earrings by a guy who designs his own jewelry. None of it was very expensive, and it's fresh and interesting. Another woman made beautiful, elegant jewelry out of pompoms, rubber bands and other "odd" materials, embedded in gold or silver. Very high fashion, geometric, with a sense of humor! Some of her stuff is at the gift shop at MOMA, or you can go to her web site at:

http://witsproductions.com/

Lots of talented craftspeople- not at all like what you see at the usual big, bland "street fairs"! Also lots of interesting flea market type items - some really beautiful stuff, from furniture to antique toasters to old books, etc. If you didn't make it this year, try to check it out next year!

What makes it so enjoyable for me is that it's not the usual tube-socks-food-fake duracell batteries-and-pillows streetfair that one runs into all over the city. It's mostly neighborhood people, and there are items good, interesting, odd and just plain strange! It seemed to be more crowded this year than in the past, and it's too bad that it only goes for one day.

Comment

Re: London Terrace "VINE RIPENED" Street Fair

"I was a country boy. I grew up on an Ohio farm, and one of the few things I miss about Ohio is being able to go out into the garden during the summer, pick a ripe sun-warmed tomato off the vine, brush it off, and eat it right on the spot. The flavor is indescribable. But if you are like most people, you have very little idea of what I mean." (
      from " Why do the tomatoes that you buy in the supermarket taste so bland?" http://www.exploratorium.com/theworld/gm/taste.html )

I'm thinking of the difference in taste between a "homemade" type sour pickle and a "brand name" sour pickle. Or a ripened on the vine tomato and a ethelyne ripened "cardboard" tasting tomato.

It's the same for street fairs, both the London Terrace Street Fair and the "cookie cutter" street fairs are both called street fairs but the former is "indescribily tasty" and the latter "bland". Perhaps the London Terrace, Penn South and all the other "tasty" fairs should have in their name something that differentiates them from the bland tasting fairs.

How about
      'Come to the Penn South "Vine Ripened" Street Fair'
      -or-
      'Announcing the 2008 London Terrace Garage Sale'

By either adding a phrase to these fairs like "Vine ripened" or "Home Grown", or simply calling them by another name say "Garage Sale" it allows these fairs to better advertise the quality of their offerings.

(I attended a "Home Grown" Church fair on 82nd and York today. I picked up a 2 handset cord less phone set for fifty cents that was in some ways better then the $130 Panasonic unit I bought for $130 at Best Buys last month. Ain't NO WAY I would have ever found a bargain like that at one of "Chain Store Style" Street fairs" )

Comment

"Vine ripened" or "Home Grown": What a great description, Southpaw, of the "tasty" street events round Manhattan (as opposed to the "bland" ones)! Looks like we both lucked out today!!!

Comment

I usually go to the London Terrace street fairs but I missed this one because I never saw a notice for it. I'm sure there must have been notices but where were they? As a former London Terrace tenant, I'm really sorry I missed this one. Thx.

Comment

I always liked the Stuyvesant Town flea market. They have over 600 tables of everything imaginable in a park-like setting all throughout the complex.
            roby2000

Comment

Originally posted by phtp2 View Post
              "Vine ripened" or "Home Grown":...
              Or "organic"...

"developing in a manner analogous to the natural growth and evolution characteristic of living organisms; arising as a natural outgrowth." from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/organic

Comment

I think when we know of something especially good like an organic, vine-ripened or home-grown event in the city, we should let the CCYB know. I missed the London Terrace street fair because I didn't see or hear the announcement and I'm not even aware of the Stuyvesant Town flea market.

Letting us know or reminding us in this blog would be a good thing, I think.

Comment

Amy, Check out Chelsea Click Your Activities (http://chelsea.clickyourblock.com/bb...read.php?t=910 ) I've linked this thread to it, and if Chelsea Click Your Activities actually keeps getting updated over the next year then I (or perhaps someone else) will post the date of the 2008 London Terrace "Tasty" Street Fair on this thread and you'll automatically be emailed of its date.

Comment

the list is very thoughtful and a very good idea -- and it would be great if some of these events could automatically be announced -- thx.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
                      it would be great if some of these events could automatically be announced
                      When you next return to the calendar, choose the Thread Tools menu, and then "Subscribe to this thread". Whenever the calendar thread is updated, you will receive a note. This tool also works for any other thread you wish to watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X