RCN and Verizon Outage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCN and Verizon Outage

I don't know how many of you were affected by the outage (which lasted from approximately 12:25 PM Wednesday to 9PM Thursday) but unless I missed it, I didn't see or hear any coverage of it on the media. I have a bundled package so I lost cable TV, landline phone, and internet, and the building lost intercom service. I think when something like that happens the cable companies should advise the network news to keep us advised and let us have a progress report.

Re: RCN and Verizon Outage

seems a lot of people inb my building were affected- people kept on stopping me about it- i have fios so no issues. they did put a notice by the elevator today

Comment

One of the biggest problems was that no one knew why it was happening or what was being done about it. I know we have several free wifi places in the neighborhood so I was able to get on the web but I never saw anything from the RCN or Verizon sites that gave any mention of the outage. I looked in the newspapers and went on the various network TV channels, but nothing was mentioned there either. I suppose one could call RCN or Verizon but since my landline wasn't working and I have limited time on my cell I wasn't going to use my precious minutes to possibly have to stay "on hold" and only be told some blanket statement like "they're working on it."

Comment

I called RCN from a pay phone at 1:30 and a message came on that there was an area outage and that service would be returned at 3:30. My service finally resumed at about 8pm.

Comment

I've got Verizon. I was. Not affected.

Comment

Regarding RCN. The lobby security camera and the PS bulletin channels have not been working since April. Is anyone else in Building 7 experiencing this problem? I initially thought that it was because of the HVAC, but now that HVAC is completed, I am still not getting the channels.

Comment

I just checked RCN channels 97 and 98 are NOT working (Bldg. 5). Usually the lobby closed circuit channel works, but the bulletin board channel almost never works. The only time recently that it worked was for HVAC tutorial and Board election. I think if the people who are supposed to maintain those boards had salary deductions for every time those channels weren't working maybe it would be a different story. Something for us to think about??????????

Comment

Originally posted by magpie View Post
                I just checked RCN channels 97 and 98 are NOT working (Bldg. 5). Usually the lobby closed circuit channel works, but the bulletin board channel almost never works. The only time recently that it worked was for HVAC tutorial and Board election. I think if the people who are supposed to maintain those boards had salary deductions for every time those channels weren't working maybe it would be a different story. Something for us to think about??????????
                My bulletin board used to always work, along with the security camera. I called RCN who sent a tech, who couldn't fix it from my apartment. I called security who said he was sending an e-mail to ? who must have been in charge of the boards. I called the management office who said to call security. Another referral to someone in maintenance, who I left a message for. Still nothing. This all occurred in the past 2 weeks. If they can't be fixed, I would think we should get a reduction in our $40 payment on our monthly maintenance bill.

Comment

i thinkyou should get a reduction if you had no service but not having RCN intercom system will not result in rent reduction as no everyone gets it including fios customers

Comment

This is very interesting and brings up an important point: It's useless to complain on here without following up with some useful action. I just checked my TV and today again channels 97 and 98 are not working. I'm pretty sure that Phillipe Ngola is supposed to be in charge of this. Since Security is compromised if we can't get the lobby channel then I think Larry O'Neill should also be on this list. Our newly appointed Board member Sasha has a background in computers and technology so he should also be looking into this.
                    So, what I'm suggesting is that a memo to each of these three goes out maybe the first of each month citing building number and outages. I'm not sure what the proper protocol would be in order to submit this maybe at a co-op council meeting and start the ball rolling to make sure that the services we're supposed to get, and the people who are supposed to be responsible for those services, get put on notice. What are the ACC (if I have that right?) or LEAPS all about? Do they have any power to submit grievances?

Comment

I do not think it will do any good as only RCN customers have the security channel- I dont have it and i dont think time warner does either- as long as all other cable companies dont have that channel i doubut if it will do any good. to me if the other cable companies had the security channel and RCN didnt because of technogical issues i dont think that counts in my opinion-sorry

Comment

I have to check that. Seems to me that everyone should have closed circuit TV,not just RCN customers. There's something very wrong about that if you're denied an important security feature if you choose another cable provider.

Comment

yes we used to have RCN and had security camera in placer- i miss it as verizon doesnt have it- i agree that all all providers should have it as well especially since the ring used to be a fast ring so you would know its from downstairs= now you cant tell if its lobby or not except if you have caller ID like I do= so it will say lobby on the phone

Comment

My service was out from 11:00 AM on Wednesday until 9:45 PM Thursday. Yesterday I received a letter from RCN stating that they'll provide a reduction in the next billing cycle and that the problem is traced to "a fire in a Con Edison manhole in lower Manhattan that caused severe damage to RCN's fiber optic cable." I'm glad they're doing the right thing without being asked as far as the billing reduction is concerned. I noticed, though, that when the service resumed there was a significant change in the "GUIDE" function on the TV remote. The bottom of the screen used to give access to "A", "B" and "C"-button functions but now only shows "GUIDE - FIND SHOWS" and the "MENU" options have also changed. I wonder how much of the problem was due to the "Con Edison manhole" fire and how much is attributable to the software reconfiguration they did to alter the options on the remote.

Comment

a nice post is made i like it...

Comment

Working...
                              X