Resurfacing 8th Ave b/t 14th-30th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurfacing 8th Ave b/t 14th-30th

The New York City Department of Transportation will resurface Eighth Avenue this spring, including milling (grinding away) the existing surface.

In order to minimize disruption to traffic, this work will be done primarily at night. The schedule for work for the remainder of this week and next week is as follows:

Thursday March 23rd: Milling, West 14th to West 30th

Friday: No work

March 27-31
    Monday: No work
    Tuesday: No work
    Wednesday: Milling, West 14th - West 30th
    Thursday: Milling, West 14th - West 30th

Friday: No work

News archives

Re: Resurfacing 8th Ave b/t 14th-30th

I find it interesting that it seems the moving of automobile traffic during the day takes priority over neighborhood residents being able to sleep at night (especially during the wee hours of this past Thursday morning when scraping went on until at least 5am around 23rd Street (and I have good double-pane windows - I feel sorry for my neighbors with old single-pane windows). I'm sure the DOT believes that not disrupting traffic is more important to the economic well-being of the city than keeping half the neighborhood awake all night with milling, but what about lost productivity of city residents!? I was a zombie all day Thursday at work! 8th Avenue isn't really that busy in the teens and 20's during the late morning and early afternoon, I wish they could do the milling then!

Comment

I don't know how they could get around it. You're right that 8th Ave is very lightly trafficed mid-mornings, but I'm sure they need more than 2-3 hours at a time to do their work. The thing that annoys me is when there are ways around making unnecessary noise that they don't take advantage of. Like when these guys start yelling at each other in the street! I'm like SHUT UP! But other than that I can't really think of any way they could keep the noise much less than it is.

By the way, have you guys noticed how much dust this is throwing up into the air? I was walking down 8th Ave last night and figured I must need a gas mask to stay healthy! The dust was unbelievable. It was like a fog hovering over 8th Ave.

Comment

That dust is horrible!
        Shirley

Comment

I am posting this e-mail from Susan I. In addition to the dust it is most difficult for elderly and handicap to cross the street. Is it possible that this post can become a part of all the neighborhood blogs?

----- Original Message -----
          To: Suzy
          Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 2:49 PM
          Subject: dust bowl on 8th Avenue

Dear Friends and Neighbors,

I know you must be as concerned as I am about the dust created by the removal of the road bed on 8th Avenue. I don't know how long this will continue, but in the meantime, I think the Dept. of Transportation should be spraying 8th Avenue with water several times a day to keep the dust out of the air.

New York City was just named the city with the worst air in the entire U.S. Now, I think Chelsea is the neighborhood with the dirtiest air in the city. Please call, fax, e-mail the Mayor's Office, EPA, community board, Christine Quinn, Tom Duane, etc., etc. I have contacted everyone today. Please do the same. I also wrote The Villager hoping that they would have some clout in getting this resolved.

THIS IS A MATTER CONCERNING OUR HEALTH.
          Please foreward to all your friends in the neighborhood.

Sincerely, Susan

l

Comment

Hi Leonaw - yes, you have just made this a part of the neighborhood blogs. Thank you.

Comment

Schedule for April:

DOT Resurfacing - Eighth Avenue

The New York City Department of Transportation will resurface Eighth Avenue this spring, including milling (grinding away) the existing surface. In order to minimize disruption to traffic, this work will be done primarily at night. The schedule for work for next week is as follows:

April 2 - 8, 2006

Sunday: Milling, West 23rd - West 30th
              Monday: Milling, West 37th - West 58th

Tuesday: Milling, West 37th - West 58th
              Wednesday: Milling, West 37th - West 58th
              Thursday: Milling, West 37th - West 58th
              Friday: Milling, West 37th - West 58th
              Saturday: No work

Schedule is subject to change due to inclement weather or emergencies. For updated information, dial 3-1-1.

Comment

Thanks AEG! I was just about to post that myself!

Comment

Working...
                X