Taking a smoke break right outside your job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a smoke break right outside your job

Some stores or restaurants make their employees go to the next block to have their fix, but lately I've been seeing too many places with them smoking at the entrance door.

My barber was smoking outside when I got there the other day and he threw it to the floor (of course didn't even put it out) came inside with me and didn't wash his hands. As he buzzed my sides, I could smell the stench on his fingers and arms.

Apex students on 19th & 6th are always hanging out clogging the sidewalks with their smokescreens.

The workers outside of the AT&T outlet on 8th (bet. 22nd/23rd) are always out there puffing away.

Rite Aid employees do it too on 8th & 20th.

The other day I snapped three Starbucks baristas polluting right at the front door on Chambers Street, I almost didn't go in.

It's just tacky and gross and I doubt the owners would like to know this is happening.
    Is this something 311 could do something about?

Re: Taking a smoke break right outside your job

I swear I breathe more second-hand smoke now than before the ban. You get crowds smoking on the sidewalks in front of every workplace. You cannot avoid it as you walk down the street. It's disgusting.

Are there any smokers who keep their butts and don't toss them on the street like a-holes? There aren't many. Smokers are the biggest litterers in existence. Such foul, anti-social behavior. Hey, smokers, use an empty Altoids tin or something. I'm already putting up with your noxious fumes, and I don't want to put up with your selfish littering, too.

The worst? Littering smokers who also don't pick up after their dogs. They should be sent to the farmland forever.

Comment

And have you ever told a smoker that they should quit? Brace for impact. You've never heard such cries of indignation.

I ordered patches for my boyfriend. Hopefully they will help him quit.

Vidis, that is NASTY about your barber this his nicotine hands. I would be so pissed.
      www.shardsofglass.etsy.com, www.shardsofglassmosaics.blogspot.com

Comment

Here's an idea, dude.
        Find a new barber.

Comment

A new barber? But he's this hot Israeli guy and oh so close to work

As a very loquacious and opinionated chap, I always wave my hand at smokers and say "thanks for the fumes, quit that crap".
          Sometimes when I'm feeling generous and it's a female I say with a smile "you know you're too pretty to be smoking". Usually I get the reply, "I know, I'm trying'

Comment

Then, rather than call 311, give a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
              Then, rather than call 311, give a little.
              lol, he's soooo totally straight.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisNYC1213 View Post
                I ordered patches for my boyfriend. Hopefully they will help him quit.
                That's great! Good luck with the patches! I dated a smoker 7yrs and I think it was the crux of our break-up. My mom did hypnosis 20yrs ago and hasn't smoked since.

Comment

Here we go again, but..... I'm a ex-smoker. That was my choice. I don't want to live in a society that regulates behavior! We're all adults and we can choose whether or not we want to smoke, eat fatty foods, etc.! This kind of governmental regulation can be a slippery slope. What's next? What we wear? How we speak? What we listen to or watch? If you want to live in an authoritarian state where the government controls everything, move to Singapore!

Comment

I think this is an obvious one phtp2 - smoke travels and is almost inescapable. I don't know what it is, maybe I'm crazy, but I happen to like my space, and oxygen.
                    Almost daily, I have to let someone pass me and go ahead so I am not near it, or cross the street because I don't want have to say something, or watch my hands because I've been burned in public at least 3 times.
                    Most smokers are inconsiderate litterbugs who pollute the air and then the ground - usually not even having the courtesy to stomp it out.
                    Employees smoking that crap right outside the main entrance of their job is really stupid.

Comment

another vidis post, another grievance.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky View Post
                        another vidis post, another grievance.
                        Anybody have any popcorn?

Comment

Anyone have an extra gas mask?

Comment

Originally posted by Lexington View Post
                            Anyone have an extra gas mask?
                            Did somebody fart?

Comment

Maybe these establishments ought to provide staff lounge areas. In the new Men's Spa on West 19th Street, next to the building under construction, there are always 4-5 massage therapists hanging out and smoking. I guess they have not enough business, so instead of hanging inside they do it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X