THE BARGE IS BACK!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE BARGE IS BACK!!

Great news! The New York Times reports that the Barge & Frying Pan are back!
    They are reporting that they should re-open sometime this month. If anybody hears when exactly they're going to open let us know.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...rn-is-planned/

Re: THE BARGE IS BACK!!

Thanks! This is great news.

Comment

Hooray!

Comment

Yeah, I stopped by there the other day and the it was an absolute mess. It looked exactly like what it is - a 90-year-old barge! EVERYTHING looked rusted. You could really tell no one had done anything to it for the past year or two. (How long was it closed? A year or two years?) But they were working on it furiously. The guy said they thought they'd be open the first week in June. I hope so! I really miss it.

Comment

By virtue of the fact that the photo shows the Frying Pan's being docked in it's new and hopefully permanent home, that I have to express, is GREAT NEWS! It has been sorely missed. It's nice to know that very, very soon, I will have my Oasis/Mecca back. Since the move, I can actually see it if I look west on 26th Street. A bird's eye view from my terrace which faces west on 26th Street. I am along with everyone else who loves this venue VERY, VERY HAPPY!

Cheers!

Comment

JONATHAN: I see you posted this at the beginning of the month -- think it'll be open this Memorial Day weekend???

Comment

Based on what I saw, I have a feeling not Phylicita. It was a real mess. And the guys I talked to on board were estimating the first week in June. But if anyone happens to go by there and finds out differently, let us know! Although since global warming has apparently not struck New York yet this year, it may be a little chilly to sit out there just yet!

Comment

From what I have been reading, the Frying Pan is waiting for a Public Assembly permit before they can open. I hope it's soon. Last year without my FP was interminable.

Comment

NYCGeo...I feel your pain!

It sort of the same feeling some of us had while waiting for the next season of the Sopranos to return on HBO. Like you said, "interminable!"

Comment

So, I took some pictures out there on Saturday and it definitely wasn't ready for this past weekend! But they've made a lot of progress since I was last there. So it looks like they're really gonna open this year! Here are a few photos to whet your appetite. (you can click on the photos for a larger image)

This is the plank you'll walk to get to the Barge

Once on deck it's a pretty big mess...

But once you move a little further in you'll see...

This part actually looked as bad as the part in the second photo two weeks ago. It looks almost ready-to-go now.

Comment

Bad Barge News: they're still not open! I stopped by there today and ran into a guy who works sometimes for the owner. He said John, the owner has been fighting with the city. The building department is supposed to license them but he said John keeps butting heads with them. He said it probably could have opened already if John would just give in from time to time. But he didn't give any specifics so who knows... maybe the city is making outrageous demands.

He also said John owns a little bar around W 76th St on the river and he's pretty occupied with that. So I don't know... it didn't sound good. And it looked the same today as it did a month ago.

Comment

Thanks for the bad news Jonathan! Cool tht you can make social groups now.

Comment

I hope he gives the city hell! That was one of the best places Gotham had to offer !!!
                          Thanks for the update!
                          Can we help and call somewhere?

Comment

Vidis, when I was over there today I was ready to do anything. Start welding, hammering, donate money, call the mayor, whatever! But the guy I talked to didn't indicate he the owner needed any help. I have a feeling the city has probably beaten him down and as a one-man owner he's probably just tired of fighting. I wish we could find his other bar and all go by one night and let him know how much we want the Barge to re-open. Sounds to me like he just needs a little motivation.

Comment

Thanks for the update, Jonathan. What disappointing news. The city/etc. keep making it so difficult for these small, indie businesses to survive. I agree, if there were any way to give the owner some encouragement, maybe it would help.

Comment

Working...
                              X