No announcement yet.

Review of Dallas BBQ 23rd St & 8th Ave.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of Dallas BBQ 23rd St & 8th Ave.

I had some concerns when the austere Savings and Loan at the NW corner of 23rd St and 8th Ave was replaced a few years ago by the huge Dallas BBQ restaurant. Because the area was already overpopulated with restaurants and many new places don't last long, I was surprised by its tenacity fueled by nightly crowds that usually come close to filling every table in this huge space.

So when I finally began to sample the huge portions of BBQ chicken, ribs sometimes served with shrimp, wings and other goodies, I discovered why this place is likely to remain in the center of Chelsea for many years. The combination of plenty of food, very reasonable prices ( the early bird 2 for 1 special is great for those with limited funds), and fast, friendly service is a winner especially if you have only 30 min before enjoying a movie at one of the nearby theaters.

This is not the place if you are dieting, looking for romantic intimacy or elitist dining, or if you favor patronizing local small business -- Dallas BBQ has 4 other locations in Manhattan and 1 in Brooklyn. The diverse and sometimes raucous crowd create an appropriate background for the trough-style munching. Although I am not a drinker, it is hard not to notice the giant Margaritas and other liquid concoctions adorning well over half the tables. I suppose a few of these ample drinks makes the ribs go down easier.

Big portions + reasonable pricing + fast service = a good deal. (the $50 review prize will buy a lot of chicken at Dallas BBQ)

Alan

Re: review of Dallas BBQ 23rd St & 8th Ave.

I Love Dallas BBQ - for the food and think you summed it up perfectly! Pros & Cons both. Great review! I also agree it can get a pretty loud. I usually only go there alone for that reason. It's too hard to talk if you go with somebody. I guess I don't actually care for the atmosphere too much now that you got me thinking about it - but the food is yummie!

Comment

Re: Review of Dallas BBQ 23rd St & 8th Ave.

Yes, very good review. I think you should win this month!
      Shirley

Comment

I had a few friends in from London this past week and we wanted a cheap franchise that characterized all of the bad qualities/tendencies/habits that exist in American culture and diet. We easily chose Dallas BBQ. I found the grease and the poor quality of chicken and fish practically heart-wrenching...I was lucky to have TUMS EX tabs in my pocket! About 5 minutes into the meal, I had to refrain from nibbling on anything else...even the corn bread (which was actually quite tasty).

The only thing that may have hope on the menu is the Texas-sized margaritas!

Hungry mouths beware!

Comment

I love Dallas BBQ but I had a bad experience with them last week. My husband got 2 steaks to bring home, medium rare. He had to wait forever, then discovered our steaks had been mistakenly put on a delivery bike. So he finally got home with them, and they were tepid, but worse than that, they were both at least medium/medium-well, and were supposed to be medium rare.

So I called, and they delivered two new steaks. My husband opened his, and it was perfect. Mine was still way overcooked. We were both fed up, and starving, and so just shared the good steak. I brought mine back the next day so I could speak to the manager, and it turns out they are training and sharing cooks with the new Dallas BBQ in Times Square.

I'm sure this won't affect the ribs or chicken, but steak lovers beware for the next couple of weeks.

That said, though I have a chicken in the fridge I should cook, I'm totally craving a steak from Dallas. I swear there's some addictive substance in the marinade.

Comment

That's awful! I ordered take out there last Friday and the place was unbelievably crowded. Doesn't seem surprising they'd screw some things up they get so busy sometimes! Anyway, thanks for the warning though about their beef. Will definitely keep that in mind.

Comment

Great turkey burger.

Funny story, awhile ago I was there with my husband, who is uh....shall we say significantly younger than I. The waiter asked him for ID, I chuckled and said, "oh i guess you'll want to see mine too, eh?" Waiter looked me up and down, "No."

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by girlfriday
                Great turkey burger.

Funny story, awhile ago I was there with my husband, who is uh....shall we say significantly younger than I.
                I'm significantly younger than my wife. I cannot recommend the arrangement enough and I laugh at my friends who chase what to me are young girls. My wife is all woman and I'm a very happy man. It's a shame your waiter had no tact but then you don't go to Dallas BBQ for the atmos.

The first year I was over here (after freely buying alcohol in the UK for many years), the teller asked me for ID one day. At the time I was offended that she could think I was underage. Sadly I don't think it would happen again.

Comment

BETTER FOOD, BETTER ATMOSPHERE, BETTER SERVICE..............

RUB, near the Chelsea Hotel.................

Comment

Oh RUB rocks for real genuine BBQ, but you have to admit that Dallas BBQ is a totally different animal all together...

Comment

Ummm... sounds good girlfriday. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll try it out soon!

Comment

If you go to RUB, avoid the Turkey (white meat) if it's still on the menu.
                        I tried it a few months ago, when they first opened & when the server asked if everything was OK I told them that the Turkey was WAY too dry. It was drier than the bread it was served on. Their response was that I was not the only one to have mentioned that. (I made a mental note to dock their tip for not 'tipping' me off about that information.) If I recall I asked if their were any smoked Turkey legs available since they would retain their moisture since they are dark meat, but they didn't sell the legs or thighs.

I should repeat that this was months ago, when they first opened & hopefully they have responded to repeat remarks fo the customers.

I should also add that I was surprised when I inquired what the "prize" was awarded for that was hanging behind the bar. They said it was the sauce which I did not find to be outstanding. I would have thought it was the meats. (I also tried the ribs & chicken which were very good.) The sauce was much better than the bottled stuff at BBQ, but noyhing to write home about.

Bottom Line: enjoy the food, but be sure the sauce is on the side as it will overshadow all the time & effort put forward for some very succulent ribs & chicken.

CD
                        Need computer assistance?
                        See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Am I the only person annoyed by the raucous crowds outside Dallas BBQ? I live literally across the street and I know I am in the city and to expect street noise, but it seems so excessive at times, especially closing time with people shrieking and carrying on at volume levels that even a New Yorker would find considerable. I know there are other places in the neighborhood (bars), that have staff to keep the sidewalk crowd orderly due to noise complaints, why does this place get a pass?

Comment

"...why does this place get a pass?"

Because 5-0 eats there?

Kurt, I totally agree with you. Not only do the crowds block the street and make noise, they litter. Many times I have seen the remnants of BBQ take-out containers littered in front and around the entrance. A complaint to the 10th Pct or Christine Quinn's office might help.

Comment

I find the food here absolutely foul. But the Texas size margaritas? They're one of the best bargains in the city. You can have just one and be done drinking for the whole night--you'll be sailing. But they are so sugary and full of chemicals that I can only avail myself once every four months or so. Even then, I sit at the bar and high-tail it out of there when my drink is drained.

I think the last time I ate a meal in there was about two years ago. I can still taste it. Ugh.

Comment

Working...
                              X