Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presidential Politics - Choosing our Choices

Hi everybody,

I was just emailing a friend about the upcoming presidential election and she said to me "I'm not even paying attention right now. It's way too far out for it to warrant any of my time now."

At first, I was nodding my head in agreement - acknowledging that these elections are starting earlier and earlier... and now way too early. But then on second thought I realized just how wrong-headed that is! You know, we always complain that we don't like our choices. Well, this is the time when we choose our choices. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it's probably more important that we pay attention now than it will be after the two candidates are chosen - very early next year.

In just about 6 or 7 months they will be chosen and we'll all be moaning that we wish we had two better candidates to choose from. So, why don't we talk about it here and now and hopefully we'll all be better informed and ready to vote in the primaries - just a few short months away.

I'll pose as the lone Republican just to give you guys a little balance. But I'm curious, who on your side are you leaning towards and why?

As you may have heard, Republicans aren't exaclty happy about their choices so far. And I'm among them. At first I was leaning towards Romney, but then after the Republican debates I started moving more towards Giulliani. It was interesting how many times the debate was going one way, then Giulliani would speak his mind - offering a different opinion - and then suddenly everybody started going his way. I have to give him credit for having the courage to say what he believes even when he knows he won't be entirely popular. That's a huge thing for me in a politician.

I also liked Mike Huckabee a lot. If he could get his campaign going a little better I'd probably end up supporting him.

Re: Presidential Politics - Choosing our Choices

Tarmill, you are so right that we should be paying attention now. Since all these states have moved their primaries up to February we'll know quite early who the candidates are.

Comment

Yeah, good point tarmill. Thanks for posting. I have really not been paying any attention, but this post may just motivate me to do so. There are so many people running on both sides. It's like the first time in memory there hasn't been a heavyweight incumbent running. The field really is wide open and it seems we really may have the best opportunity in years to actually pick two good people - one on both sides. No one has a lock on either side right now.

I'm thinking Barak for vice president on the dems side. I like him a lot, but I have to be serious. He really doesn't have the experience to be president. He seems very bright and I think he just might make a good president after serving 4 or 8 years as vice president.

Hillary I think just rubs too many people the wrong way to ever be president. So I can't see her as a serious choice on our side. And for all her notoriety and name recognition I still to this day have no idea what she really believes and stands for. What motivates her? What does she really want to fight for? What gets her blood pumping - other than hatred of repubs? I've seen her get pretty steamed about that, but I haven't really seen her angry at anything else. And if that's the only thing that motivates her I don't think that's enough to be president. She's been on both sides of the war, so I really don't know what she's all about.

Anyway, those seem to be the two the media have chosen as the front runners. It'd be really nice to see the voters choose someone who's a total surprise! I'd actually like to see people who have never been in politics before jump in! (Which of course contradicts my comment about Barak not having enough experience! So, maybe I'm wrong about that).

John Edwards. I used to like him. While he was still running in the primaries last time, I thought he was pretty decent. Not much experience though. But he was articulate and polished (more than I can say for the current White House occupant), and he did seem to at least have a point of view. He actually took some stands on some issues and said what he would do as president. Something I can't say for Hillary. Has she taken a stand on anything? Anyway, after that Bob Shrum book came out and reported what he said to John Kerry though, that totally creeped me out. Did you guys hear about that? I can't support a guy like that. Too creepy and smarmy.

I guess if I had to say right now, given that every candidate (on both sides) seems to be deeply flawed, I'd have to go with Barak (my earlier comments notwithstanding). He seems to be the most out-of-the-box thinker on either side. The rest of the democrats are just old-line politicians. Been in Washington too long. Same with the republicans. Barak is the only one who seems secure enough in himself to speak his mind.

Comment

All I know is Bloomberg is a flip flopper. As Stephen Colbert has pointed out, first he was an anti-gun, pro-choice, pro-gay Dem, then an anti-gun, pro-choice, pro-gay Republican & now an anti-gun, pro-choice, pro-gay Independent. You just never know where this guy stands.

Oh, yea & I hear that Rudy will be legally changing his name to Nine Eleven

CD
        Need computer assistance?
        See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

CD you're hilarious! Esepcially that Rudy comment!

Comment

Originally posted by seedyonenyc View Post
            Bloomberg
            I don't this this country is ready for a Jewish president. (New York City is not the rest of this country by a long shot. We are as arrogant as the rest of the country but the similarity ends there.)

And as the other lone Republican here, I actually do like Bloomberg and I generally part company with the rest of my party when it comes to abortion. However, I think votes for Bloomberg will just siphon off votes from the Democrats a la Nader.

Comment

Originally posted by AEG View Post
              ...And as the other lone Republican here....
              (Forgive me, but I just can't resist this.)

Are all openly declared Republicans always weak at math?

On a more serious note, I think we may see that the disaffected 'independents', whose existence has been denied by the other lone Republican among us, may start to move beyond their marginal status. In a time of 24/7 news networks that need more news-like items to fill the time between advertisements, a chance to have a third party in the mix may finally get the Insurgents a larger share of exposure.

Nader has always been defined as an 'outsider' (remember Nader's Raiders?) whereas Bloomberg is merely a well organized uber-success in the financial world that has shown he can manage a large public administration. Oh, & if you haven't noticed he already has all the money his campaign would need.

I think the most interesting thing to watch for will be how, when the going gets rough, the Old Boys Club will handle taking the uppity Woman/Black/Jewish opposition down a notch without exposing their own prejudices. We are, after all, talking about politicians here. You can recognize them because they often have their foot in their mouth, especially around election time.

Stay tuned (if you have the stomach & nothing better to do).

CD
              Last edited by seedyonenyc; 07-04-2007, 04:45 AM. Reason: Short an ellipse

Comment

Originally posted by seedyonenyc View Post
                Are all openly declared Republicans always weak at math?
                I was just making an attempt at humor.

Comment

Pretty funny all you lone RepublicanS! Is Chelsea getting less lonely for Republicans I wonder?

I think America is ready for a Jewish president but I don't think they're ready for Bloomberg. Not because of his Jewishness though. I think he's just too urbane to be an American president. My take is they like a more earthy president. Bloomberg may be a lot of things, but he's not exactly the picture of warmth and earthiness I think America looks for in a president.

On another subject, anybody watching Road to the White House on cspan? I think that is one of the most amazing programs in the campaign. I really like the fact that two small states vote first. Road to the White House shows the candidates in New Hampshire and Iowa really getting down with the voters. In a very personal and up close way. It's pretty fascinating to watch these guys up close mingling with small crowds in small towns. I saw Joe Biden and Chris Dodd doing this on a recent episode. It might just be the best way to really get a feel for each candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by JonD View Post
                    I think America is ready for a Jewish president but I don't think they're ready for Bloomberg. Not because of his Jewishness though. I think he's just too urbane to be an American president. My take is they like a more earthy president.
                    And can you imagine a Jewish candidate that would appeal to Bo and Luke Duke?

You and I, I think, are saying very similar things; I am limiting the field by saying you won't find earthy/crunchy/granola Jews that want to run for President (these types of Jews tend to make Pelosi look conservative) _and_ have a chance of appealing to those not still serving time in the Summer of Love (mainstream America)??

Comment

And can you imagine a Jewish candidate that would appeal to Bo and Luke Duke?
                      Never mind a Jewish candidate but also a woman and a black. There are more Bo and Luke Duke's out there then you may think.

Comment

Originally posted by AEG View Post
                        You and I, I think, are saying very similar things; I am limiting the field by saying you won't find earthy/crunchy/granola Jews that want to run for President (these types of Jews tend to make Pelosi look conservative) _and_ have a chance of appealing to those not still serving time in the Summer of Love (mainstream America)??
                        Yeah, we might be saying the same thing. I really don't think America cares if a candidate is Jewish - as long as he/she affirms most of what they believe in. Most Jews, especially those over 30, tend to be pretty liberal in a way that I think most of America probably isn't. There was a lot of Republican support for Joe Lieberman last time around because of his stand on an issue (Iraq). They didn't care whether he was Jewish or not. They only cared that he agreed with them on that issue. America loves its Jewish entertainers - because they're great entertainers. They don't care that they're Jewish. The same way I really don't think it would bother them at all if a presidential candidate was a Jew as long as he agreed with them on whatever issues are important to them. And that's where you may be right - it may be hard to find a Jewish politician who does agree with them like that.

Comment

Originally posted by JonD View Post
                          Same with the republicans. Barak is the only one who seems secure enough in himself to speak his mind.
                          Great comments JonD. Some good insights as well. But I do have to take exception with one thing you said. You think Barak is the only one who seems secure enough to speak his mind? What about Rudy? Telling REPUBLICANS he's pro-abortion! Come on, whatever you cay say about Barak, that's speaking your mind, right?

Comment

Yep, you got me there tarmill! Absolutely right. Rudy is speaking his mind - true enough.

Comment

Here is a very interesting survey conducted by the American Research Group.

http://americanresearchgroup.com/

If you scroll down a few questions you can see poll results for both Dem & Rep candidates & how they are doing week to week for June 13, 29 & 30.

Back in present....

There are also a few rather interesting questions asked of "...1,100 completed telephone interviews among a random sample of adults nationwide July 3-5, 2007. The theoretical margin of error is plus or minus 3 percentage points, 95% of the time. Of the total sample, 933 interviews were completed among registered voters."

The questions asked were:

Do you approve or disapprove of President George W. Bush commuting the 30-month prison sentence of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby while leaving intact Mr. Libby's conviction for perjury and obstruction of justice in the CIA leak case?

Do you favor or oppose a complete presidential pardon for Mr. Libby?

Do you favor or oppose the US House of Representatives beginning impeachment proceedings against President George W. Bush?

Do you favor or oppose the US House of Representatives beginning impeachment proceedings against Vice President Dick Cheney?

I found the results astonishing, even to me.

See for yourself: http://americanresearchgroup.com/
                              Perhaps there are other issues that should be addressed before 2008?
                              Would anyone care to comment on the results?
                              Maybe it's time for a new thread here in the 'House of Controversy'.

CD
                              Last edited by seedyonenyc; 07-10-2007, 12:10 AM. Reason: grammatical error :)

Comment

Working...
                              X