Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bush Fires US Attorneys - and that's a CRIME!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush Fires US Attorneys - and that's a CRIME!?

I was trying to stay out of any controversy for awhile, but this firing of US Attorneys by the White House is more than I can take. I've heard Democrats suggest recently that "there could be criminal behavior" involved. Do they completely forget that their own president, Bill Clinton fired ALL 93 US Attorneys in an unprecedented action in March of 1993? Why was that not a crime and this is?

I don't remember hearing a single Democrat raise a single complaint when Clinton fired ALL 93 US Attorneys. So why the outcry now? Could it be partisan politics???

Re: Bush Fires US Attorneys - and that's a CRIME!?

I think it has to do more of when the firings where done. I believe Clinton was cleaning house when he arrived vs the appearance of these 8 being fired because they were investigating activity that the white house didn't want them to look into. I don't remember the exact timeline of the Clinton 93, but I think this is the (unsaid) gist of what is going on. Now, if anyone is upset because of the firings, in general, and they weren't upset when the Clinton 93 ocurred, that would be partisan.

Comment

Cleaning house at the beginning of a new administration has been a common practice for both parties which is usually before any fat has spilled into fires of partisanship.

Someone should have known better.

"Copies of e-mails released over the last week by congressional committees contradicted previous assertions by Justice Department officials that the prosecutors were dismissed strictly because of their performance. There also has been conflicting information about who initiated discussion about replacing the U.S. attorneys."

"The story ``changes every single time'' administration officials offer it, [Sen.] Leahy [D-VT] said. [Sen.] Specter [R-PA] said there are ``many conflicting assertions'' about what transpired and ``there's a good bit of investigation to be done.'' "-Bloomberg News

"As Media Matters for America has noted, while both Clinton and Bush dismissed nearly all U.S. attorneys upon entering office following an administration of the opposite party, contrary to [ABC News legal correspondent Jan Crawford] Greenburg's suggestion in invoking the Clinton dismissals, Bush's recent actions in firing eight U.S. attorneys are in fact highly unusual. The Washington Post reported in a March 14 article that "legal experts and former prosecutors say the firing of a large number of prosecutors in the middle of a term appears to be unprecedented and threatens the independence of prosecutors." "-Media Matters

So much for Alberto "Gone"zalez

CD
      Need computer assistance?
      See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

No, Bush didn't fire all 93 prosecutors when he first took office. Where did you get that from? And I'm sorry, but firing 8 prosecutors any time is nothing close to firing ALL of them at any time. It is NOT a common practice for an incoming administration to fire all prosecutors when they take office. It is in fact, unprecedented.

At the time, President Clinton presented the move as something perfectly normal. "All those people are routinely replaced," he told reporters, "and I have not done anything differently." In fact, the dismissals were unprecedented. Previous Presidents, including Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter, had both retained holdovers from the previous Administration and only replaced them gradually as their tenures expired. This allowed continuity of leadership within the U.S. Attorney offices during the transition.

And I'm sorry but to initiate an investigation because you don't know the inner workings of how the firings came about is ridiculous! No law has been broken. It has not even been suggested that a law was broken. The president can certainly fire prosecutors any time he likes. Just because Senators don't know the whole story doesn't mean there should be an investigation. Just because there has been conflicting information about who initiated the discussions about replacing them... so what? Is that a crime? Is "conflicting information" now a crime!? Clearly, the democrats are grabbing at anything they can to hurt the president. I don't mind investigating a president when there is some clear basis for believing something illegal has taken place. But this does not even come close to meeting that standard. This is clearly a partisan witch-hunt that has no other reason for existing other than Dems want to hurt the president. When are they going to begin working for the good of the country instead of the good of themselves?

Comment

Tarmill;

Your funny.

CD

Comment

Seedy - "your" funny! Honestly - that response is beneath you! I know you can do better than that! No factual rebuttal? I guess that means I'm right! Which means - I WIN!! Finally! A clear victory for the Conservatives!!

Comment

Tar,
              Thanks for the perfect example of a baseless conclusion.

You do make me laugh.

CD

Comment

Hey, well we're still allowed to joke around a little bit aren't we? Here's something that's no joking matter though. In fact, this is totally outrageous. Chuck Schumer is all over Bush for firing these attorneys. Claiming the administration put undue and even illegal political pressure on them. He has also claimed that Republican SENATORS have put immoral and illegal political pressure on prosecutors.

But it looks like Schumer must have forgotten he's done the same thing! In fact, he has actually done much worse than what he's accusing Republican Senators of doing. (Why does that not surprise me)? Funny a guy with a 1600 SAT score could forget something like this.

But here's the text of a letter Schumer sent the Deputy Attorney General in 2004. That's a Republican appointee remember. And he's pressuring him to come public with information on the Valerie Plame investigation. As you'll remember, this was an investigation Democratic politicians had clamored for in an effort to hurt Bush. Apparently, Schumer was unhappy that Democrats weren't yet scoring any political points, so he began to put POLITICAL pressure on the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT to come public with something Democrats could use against Bush.

Here's the letter Schumer wrote:

--------------------------------------------
                January 22, 2004
                The Honorable James Comey
                United States Department of Justice
                950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
                Washington, D.C. 20530

Dear Deputy Attorney General Comey:

I write to request an update on the investigation into allegations that senior administration officials committed a federal felony by leaking the identity of a covert CIA operative.

The investigation has been underway for four months now and we have received no meaningful reports regarding the progress you are making. I realize there are limitations on information that can be disclosed regarding an ongoing criminal investigation, but, as we have discussed, a prosecutor has the responsibility to assure public confidence in criminal investigations, especially those of such a serious nature.

In the wake of recent calls by former intelligence operatives for a Congressional investigation, I write to ask that you publicly answer several questions regarding the progress you are making:

Has a grand jury been empaneled in this case? Have members of the White House staff signed waivers, permitting journalists to discuss confidential communications? If so, what percent of the White House staff has signed such waivers? Has anyone who has been asked to sign such a waiver refused to do so?

Have journalists been interviewed as part of the investigation? Has any journalist who has been released from confidentiality (assuming any has), refused to answer questions regarding previously confidential communications?

Were White House staffers ordered as a condition of employment to submit to interviews? Has anyone asked for or been offered immunity? If so, how many individuals fit in each category and what types of immunity have been asked for and offered to each?

What other information can you provide us regarding the progress you are making with this investigation?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
                Charles E. Schumer
                United States Senator
                --------------------------------------------
                If that's not a Senator using his office and his position to put partisan political pressure on the Justice Department, which should not be subject to this kind of political pressure, then nothing is.

Comment

Originally posted by tarmill View Post
                  ...In fact, this is totally outrageous. Chuck Schumer is all over Bush for firing these attorneys...He has also claimed that Republican SENATORS have put immoral and illegal political pressure on prosecutors.

But it looks like Schumer must have forgotten...
                  Maybe I am about to earn my doctorate in Stating the Obvious, but with politicians, it's always a game of one-upmanship...or a game of chess. Neither side is, IMHO, "forgetting" anything.

However, what either side really lays out as the sacrificial lamb is the office, which is what really gets attacked. Every time a new type of attack is launched on a congressman, or a president, or an attorney general (without there being a real interest in a criminal investigation), it's the office that is hurt. Whether the officeholder is hurt is not even relevant. Needless energy in then burned in defense, counter attack, and then re-attack by the first side. And when the party in power switches the previously-out-of-power-now-in-power has "learned" the new attack method and it starts all over again. At least the Democrats (in this particular instance) have learned this by squashing their more radical elements and not impeaching Bush. In the end, it's the citizens that pay the price.

Comment

In the end, it's the citizens that pay the price.
                    Ain't it the (sad) truth?

Comment

And he's pressuring him to come public with information on the Valerie Plame investigation. As you'll remember, this was an investigation Democratic politicians had clamored for in an effort to hurt Bush. Apparently, Schumer was unhappy that Democrats weren't yet scoring any political points, so he began to put POLITICAL pressure on the JUSTICE DEPARTMENT to come public with something Democrats could use against Bush.
                      Ain't it a shame that the Atty Gen'l was being asked all those questions. I always say that anyone that questions me about what I'm supposed to be doing as my job responsibility is putting WAY TOO MUCH pressure on me. It's a good thing that the Atty Gen'l ignored a member of the minority (at the time) that had the nerve to apply such unbearable pressure. Imagine the precedent that accountability would set?

Bravo that Gonzalez didn't cave. It would have saved us all the time & expense of the Fitzgerald prosecution & perhaps the TRUE law breaker would be behind bars & not some fall guy.

Tar, You are a riot.

CD

Comment

Oh cool! So, then we agree. You would then have to agree that it's okay for Republican senators to inquire as to why proecutors weren't doing their jobs by investigating charges of election fraud.

Comment

Oh cool! So, then we agree. You would then have to agree that it's okay for Republican senators to inquire as to why proecutors weren't doing their jobs by investigating charges of election fraud.
                          I don't know anything about "proecutors ", but if your implying that some felt that Federal prosecutors were negligent in their duties when they WERE investigating election fraud, I would have to disagree. If Federal voting laws were being broken who better to 'proecute' then the prosecutors?

It seems most peculiar that you keep trying to find points or ideas that we agree on.

I'm flattered & your funny.

CD

Comment

Working...
                          X