The Disney Mickey Mouse Monstrosity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Disney Mickey Mouse Monstrosity

(The following blog post is a dramatization drawn from a variety of sources, including the New York Times, Media Matters, the Associated Press and a variety of online political blogs as well as personal opinion. As such, for dramatic and narrative purposes, the post may contain fictionalized passages, composite and representative "fact-like" phrases, improvised observations and the compression of various pieces of information so as to make them appear far more vital and chronological than they actually are. Other semi-accurate elements are interwoven to establish the illusion of authenticity, though any paragraph that smacks of genuine truth is purely unintentional.)

http://www.pastdeadline.com/2006/09/...ears_late.html

Re: The Disney Mickey Mouse Monstrosity

...and on the morning after:

from the L.A. Times
    "Tim Rutten:
    Regarding Media
    ABC follows a path to shame

September 9, 2006

SURVEYING the smoking ruin that is ABC's reputation after the "The Path to 9/11" debacle, it's hard to know whether you're looking at the consequence of unadulterated folly or of a calculated strategy that turned out to be too clever by half."
    Need computer assistance?
    See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by seedyonenyc
      ...and on the morning after:

from the L.A. Times
      "Tim Rutten:
      Regarding Media
      ABC follows a path to shame

September 9, 2006

SURVEYING the smoking ruin that is ABC's reputation after the "The Path to 9/11" debacle, it's hard to know whether you're looking at the consequence of unadulterated folly or of a calculated strategy that turned out to be too clever by half."
      Thanks for the link Seedy. I can only express that Mr. Rutten has echoed my feelings about ABC in general, as well as what I personally watched (all of 10 or so minutes), of that drek they had the audacity to air -- Donny Wahlberg, Dan Lauria, Amy Madigan? Are they insane? My gosh! What's next, Ed McMahon playing the President?

Lord Have Mercy!

CC69

Comment

Yikes! Wake up CC69 - what was shown in that ABC series was actually really what happened (I know someone will now say it was "fictionalized". Please do - I will trounce that argument).

You'll notice it showed the bad stuff happening in BOTH the Clinton & Bush administration's so I don't know why everyone thinks it was so unfair. It actually made Richard Clarke of the Clinton administration look good.

The Democrats response to it was disgraceful. Remember that movie CBS was going to show about Reagan a few years ago? That movie had Reagan saying things that were in fact the exact opposite of things he had actually said. That movie was truly unfactual and biased. But did any Republican leader in the Senate lift a finger to try to get CBS to not air it? No. The answer is no.

But the current Democratic leaders sent stern "warnings" (i.e. "threats") using their power as elected officials to threaten ABC by telling them that if they did air it they would risk their broadcast licenses being pulled. Now that's an outrage.

Everyone talks about how Bush is trying to censor everything and control the media, so how do you explain the Democrats actually using their power in office to threaten ABC if they ran it? Sounds like to me it's the Democrats who want to censor what gets aired - not the Republicans.

Anyway, I wish someone could point out ONE single substantive fact that ABC got wrong in this miniseries. Of course I know "facts" aren't important to you guys... but please, just try.

It was based in large part on the 9/11 commission report. There were many high-level democrats and and liberals involved in the making of it, so I'd like to know one fact of substance that they got wrong? Did you guys actually watch the whole thing?

Comment

Hey VBad:

I AM wide awake and completely capable of pinpointing facts. For your information, I only watched a few minutes of that crap they aired. I just happen to dislike ABC's programming in general and was NOT impressed with the dramatic aspect of this horribly sad event. So, I'm asking that you don't go judging what I care about or don't. You don't have that right. Oh. And by the way, I refuse to get "into it" with you, and turn this into a name calling bash as was in the "Bias in Media" thread. But, that said, I am totally going to express my personal opinion here. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't set the stage.

Thank you.

CC69

Comment

Yikes! Calm down CC! I didn't judge you. Where did I judge you? Anyway, it's fine for you not to like it. But before you go condemning it as unfactual - you should at least be able to provide some facts on which it was substantially unfactual - shouldn't you? If you can't do that, then how do you know it was unfactual? Or is it that you just don't like it because it goes against what you WANT to believe?

Comment

Nowrasteh's most egregious fictionalizing occurs in Act 4, which depicts a supposed strike on bin Laden's Afghan redoubt that is called off at the last second by Sandy Berger, Clinton's national security advisor, who says, "I don't have that authority." Under cover of night, a CIA agent known only as "Kirk" leads a Special Forces team into the remote mountain compound where the al-Qaida chief is hiding. "The package is ready!" cries Kirk over the satellite phone, but Berger aborts the operation because he doesn't want to take responsibility.

That incident simply never occurred. As Clarke himself would have told Nowrasteh, no CIA officer ever tracked bin Laden to his hideout. Neither did Ahmed Shah Massoud, the Northern Alliance leader who is shown guiding the aborted operation. The handsome, charismatic Massoud, later assassinated by al-Qaida agents, asks Kirk angrily, "Are there any men left in Washington, or are they all cowards?" That sort of rhetoric is frequently uttered by actors portraying characters such as Massoud and O'Neill, who are no longer around to dispute the script.

Had Nowrasteh consulted the 9/11 Commission report, not only would he have found no evidence to support his exciting imaginary assault on the bin Laden compound, but he would also have learned that the underlying assumptions were completely wrong. The report states explicitly, as Clarke and other senior officials have affirmed, that Clinton and Berger ordered the CIA and the military to use any force necessary to get bin Laden.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/conason.../path_to_9_11/

Comment

Well...there you have it. Thanks 14and9. Oh and VBad: I should have said you shouldn't have made a generalization as to whether "we" or "you" as you posted don't care about the facts. I guess I took offense to that. Sorry I went off the deep end.

Still friends?

CC69

Comment

A two-part series scheduled to air November 16 and 18, 2003 -- right in the middle of November sweeps -- The Reagans starred James Brolin and Judy Davis as Ronald and Nancy Reagan. However, about a month before the broadcast, portions of the leaked draft script were published by the Drudge Report website and The New York Times. Subsequently, the miniseries sparked a furor among conservatives, who saw the movie as presenting an unbalanced portrait of the Reagans.

While CBS' controversial decision to pull the show was hailed by the right as a victory of the conservative grassroots over the liberal mainstream media, in fact it is was the mainstream media itself that precipitated the furor. On October 21, 2003, The New York Times ran a 1,600-word article on the front page of its Arts section about the CBS miniseries and the concern among Reagan supporters about the movie's allegedly liberal tilt. Although the Drudge Report had reported on the CBS movie a day earlier, Drudge acknowledged in a November 3, 2003, interview on MSNBC's Scarborough Country, "The New York Times, in all fairness, was the first one to go out ahead of it."

In the weeks that followed, The Reagans -- and the conservative uproar over it -- was headline news. Though conservative bloggers and advocacy groups fed the controversy, it was the mainstream media -- particularly the New York Times -- that made it a national story. After the Times' October 21 piece, the issue became, in the word used by many articles, a "firestorm," garnering stories in dozens of newspapers and both broadcast and cable television.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200609060009

Comment

"The Path to 9/11" is not the first historical TV drama to draw a partisan outcry. CBS canceled a miniseries about Ronald and Nancy Reagan after Republicans complained that it unfairly and inaccurately portrayed the former president. "The Reagans" ended up airing on sibling cable channel Showtime.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060908/...ocrats_film_dc

Comment

Sunday night, CBS executives attending the network's 75th-anniversary celebration in New York laughed out loud as Dick and Tommy Smothers recounted how CBS had caved in to complaints from conservatives and scrubbed their politically charged '70s variety show. Yesterday morning, some of those same CBS execs were working on how best to scrub their upcoming biopic on Ronald and Nancy Reagan after receiving a letter of complaint about it from the Republican National Committee.

By yesterday afternoon, the debate was no longer whether the four-hour miniseries, which was scheduled to air over two nights, Nov. 16 and 18, would actually be broadcast on CBS. The debate was whether CBS parent Viacom could cut its losses by airing the miniseries on its cable network Showtime, or whether it would be better never to air it at all.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

Comment

Two retired F.B.I. agents said today that they had rejected advisory roles on the disputed ABC mini-series, “The Path to 9/11,” because of concerns about the program’s accuracy.

One of the agents, Thomas E. Nicoletti, was hired by the producers of the mini-series in July 2005 to oversee its technical accuracy, but left after less than a month because of scenes he believed were misleading or just false.

“There were some of the scenes that were total fiction,” said Mr. Nicoletti, who served as a supervisory special agent and a member of the joint terrorism task force before retiring in 2003. “I told them unless they were changing this, I could not have my name associated with it.”

Chief among Mr. Nicoletti’s concerns were scenes that placed people at places they had not been present at and scenes that depicted events that were out of chronological order.

“There were so many inaccuracies,” he said.

Mr. Nicoletti said he asked the producers to make changes, but was rebuffed. “I’m well aware of what’s dramatic license and what’s historical inaccuracy,” Mr. Nicoletti said. “And this had a lot of historical inaccuracy.”

ABC, which has said that the mini-series is a docudrama about terrorism investigations prior to 9/11, not a documentary, has said that “for dramatic and narrative purposes, the movie contains fictionalized scenes, composite and representative characters and dialogue, as well as time compression.”

Dan Coleman, who retired from the F.B.I. in 2004, said he also was concerned when he read the script last summer after being approached by producers about being a technical advisor.

“They sent me the script, and I read it and told them they had to be kidding,” Mr. Coleman said. “I wanted my friends at the F.B.I. to still speak to me.”

Mr. Coleman said his concerns mainly dealt with the depiction of law enforcement officers, particularly John O’Neill, an F.B.I. counterterrorism expert who died in the attacks. “I’m Irish and I believe in ghosts,” he said. “I don’t want to be haunted.” He said he passed on the job.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/08/us...rtner=homepage

Comment

SCARBOROUGH: Roger, let me begin with you. There are points of this docudrama that are more drama than fact. But talk about Bill Clinton and the central premise by ABC that he should have done more to get Bin Laden.

CRESSY: Joe, it’s amazing, based on what I’ve seen so far is how much they’ve gotten wrong. They got the small stuff wrong such as Khalid Sheikh Mohammed instructing Ahmed Rassam to carry out the millenium attacks. Then they got the big stuff wrong, this fantasy about how we had a CIA officer and the Northern Alliance leader Ahmed Massoud looking at Bin Laden and they breathlessly call the White House to say we need to take him out and the White House said no. I mean it’s sheer fantasy. So, if they want to critique the Clinton administration and the Bush administration, based on fact, I think that’s fine. But what ABC has done here is something straight out of Disney and fantasyland. It’s factually wrong. And that’s shameful.

SCARBOROUGH: But at the same time, doesn’t history show that Bill Clinton had several opportunities to go after bin Laden, but the President and his cabinet were afraid to do so because they may offend some people in the Arab world?

CRESSY: Actually, Joe, that had nothing to do with it. If you read the 9/11 Commission report, it makes it very clear. In most of those cases, George Tenet, the Director of the CIA, said because there was single source intelligence it was his recommendation to the President not to take the shot. There was never a case where we had a clear shot at Bin Laden and the decision to take it wasn’t made.

http://digg.com/political_opinion/To...Shameful_Video

Comment

John Podhoretz, conservative columnist and Fox News contributor: The portrait of Albright is an unacceptable revision of recent history and an unfair mark on a public servant who, no matter her shortcomings, doesn’t deserve to be remembered by millions of Americans as the inadvertent (and truculent) savior of Osama bin Laden. Samuel Berger, Clinton’s national security adviser, also seems to have just cause for complaint. [NYPost, 9/8/06]

James Taranto, OpinionJournal.com editor: The Clintonites may have a point here. A few years ago, when the shoe was on the other foot, we were happy to see CBS scotch “The Reagans.” [OpinionJournal, 9/7/06]

Dean Barnett, conservative commentator posting on Hugh Hewitt’s blog:One can (if one so chooses) give the filmmakers artistic license to [fabricate a scene]. But if that is what they have done, conservative analysts who back this movie as a historical document will mortgage their credibility doing so. [Hugh Hewitt blog, 9/6/06]

Chris Wallace, Fox News Sunday anchor: When you put somebody on the screen and say that’s Madeleine Albright and she said this in a specific conversation and she never did say it, I think it’s slanderous, I think it’s defamatory and I think that ABC and Disney should be held to account. [Fox, 9/8/06]

Captain’s Quarters blog: If the Democrats do not like what ABC wants to broadcast, they have every right to protest it — and in this case, they had a point. [Captain Quarter’s blog, 9/7/06]

Bill Bennett, conservative author, radio host, and TV commentator:Look, “The Path to 9/11" is strewn with a lot of problems and I think there were problems in the Clinton administration. But that’s no reason to falsify the record, falsify conversations by either the president or his leading people and you know it just shouldn’t happen. [CNN, 9/8/06]

Seth Liebsohn, Claremont Institute fellow and produce of Bill Bennett’s radio show: I oppose this miniseries as well if it is fiction dressed up as fact, creates caricatures of real persons and events that are inaccurate, and inserts quotes that were not uttered, especially to make a point that was not intended. [Glenn Greewald’s blog, 9/7/06]

Richard Miniter, conservative author of “Losing bin Laden: How Bill Clinton’s Failures Unleashed Global Terror”: If people wanted to be critical of the Clinton years there’s things they could have said, but the idea that someone had bin Laden in his sights in 1998 or any other time and Sandy Berger refused to pull the trigger, there’s zero factual basis for that. [CNN, 9/7/06]

Brent Bozell, founder and president of the conservative Media Research Center:I think that if you have a scene, or two scenes, or three scenes, important scenes, that do not have any bearing on reality and you can edit them, I think they should edit them. [MSNBC, 9/6/06]

Bill O’Reilly, Fox News pundit: Ok, we’re talking about the run up to 9-11 and this movie that they’re re-cutting now — and they should because it puts words in the mouth of real people, actors playing real people that they didn’t say and its wrong. [O’Reilly radio show, 9/8/06]

Comment

"I wish someone could point out ONE single substantive fact that ABC got wrong"

Comment

Working...
                              X