senior center racism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• senior center racism

This morning I went to the Hudson Guild senior center for a class in jewelry. I had taken a jewelry course there several years ago and still have so many unfinished projects that I thought Id sign up again. There were approximately seven people in the class everyone speaking Spanish and although I said I was not Spanish speaking and asked them to speak in English they continued in Spanish (even the teacher).

The Center administrator came into the class who was not Hispanic, but she too went on speaking in Spanish. She said one of the women would translate but with all the conversation going on around me in Spanish it was evident I was being ignored so I left very angry, I might add.

This is not a racism rage although the racism in this case was directed toward English speaking Americans. I dont believe that a person who has spent her whole life in this country and has been a graduate of one of our best universities should have to go to a senior center and be treated as an outcast.

Weve sold out our country, sold out our youth who cant get employment in this country, and weve even sold out our language. What fools Americans are! Keep paying taxes for bi-lingual education so we can be treated like strangers in our own land.

Re: senior center racism

my mother in law belonged to that center and really liked it so its too bad you had to go through this. I am possitive this would never happen at penn south senior center but they dont offer this class. Maybe you can suggest it to someone there and see if they could get funding for something like that class if only they would offer stuff like that at our center I would be more likely to join in.

Comment

It would be nice if they had a class in jewelry at the Hudson Guild for Spanish speakers, and another one for English speakers. You might want to ask about that.

Comment

It would be nice if they had a class in jewelry at the Hudson Guild for Spanish speakers, and another one for English speakers. You might want to ask about that.
        I did speak to the administrator about that, among other things. But why do we assume that we have to provide Spanish speaking classes -- paid for as a matter of fact -- by our tax dollars. Why should we accept that people living here as much as 30 years refuse to speak English???? And then native born Americans have to be treated as second class? I'm pretty sure if I spoke a language in class they didn't understand they'd be screaming racism. But we like fools accept what they're doing and pay for them to thumb their noses at us at our expense so that the politicians can get their votes.

Sorry, but this goes beyond acceptance of what America stands for. Yes, I believe this country is a melting pot but it's now going to pot in more ways than one. There used to be a pride in being an American and a determination to be united, and immigrants ran to schools to learn the language and felt a sense of brotherhood. This tower of babel that exists today (and encouraged) has in my opinion divided and weakened us.

Comment

and when you call your insurance carrrier, SS office etc. what do you get? spanish press whatever, english press whatever. Why give a choice? This is the good old USA LOL

Comment

Either the spam creep is now using a female user name (maybe doesn't even know whether "its" male or female) or spam creep-dom is growing in Penn South! "It" must go through all the old posts to find a place to spew idiocy. What a wasted life that person must be living if this is what it has to resort to. What a jerk!

Comment

i already reported it this morning Magpie- the post had nothing to do with the original topic

Comment

Working...
              X