November 2 Election

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November 2 Election

I've read the voting plans and views of others in our blog and now offer mine. That is part of what makes America great. For those of you who do not support the direction our President has taken us, and, more importantly, for those of you who HAVE supported this President, still believe he is a good man but are disappointed with either his actions or the results, I offer my voting plans and views, as follows:

I reviewed the two ballot propositions and will vote "no" on each.

Even though term limits sound like a good idea, I think the voters need to retain the power to keep someone good and need to take the responsibility to "throw the bums out" regardless of the number of terms they have served.

The second one would accomplish two negative things. It would impair free speech and create more government commissions and "studies", etc.

I am voting "no" on both.

Although I am not a Republican, I feel compelled to vote straight Republican this time for two reasons.

First, this President must be opposed at every level and with every opportunity. His goal is to destroy the America we know and love and he must be stopped. Given where we live, Republicans have little chance of winning in any but a few races but your vote is still not wasted. Every vote makes a statement even if the candidate does not win.

Secondly (and sadly), for forty or so years, the Libertarian Party has simply not achieved critical mass and it is time to move on. Hopefully, the new and young blood in the GOP can restore the party to its Constitutional and limited gov't principles. I do not want the Tea Party to become an actual Third Party. I want them to be an advocacy group that forces fiscal discipline on elected officials. There will be a "Tea Party Caucus" within the party which will help direct the agenda. That influence will grow. Watch names like Paul Ryan, Eric Cantor, Mike Pence and Marco Rubio. The Repubs are still all wet with regard to most social issues but those are simply not the pressing matters of our time.

Where there are some contests in which there is not even a Republican candidate, I am simply leaving it blank (that is allowed). For a candidate to run unopposed and STILL not get your vote also sends a message.

That is what I am doing and why. You must make your own decision.

Tuesday will be a pivotal day for America, if not for NY.

Re: November 2 Election

You would vote for Paladino????????????

Comment

Magpie,

Well, I have to admit, Paladino is at about 100 on my list of people I would like to see as Governor. Unfortunately, Cuomo is at about 1000. Personally, I resent the fact that Cuomo was ?groomed? for this and it was, in essence, given to him. We do not live in a monarchy and for good reason.

The fact is, he will win. Every vote for Paladino, however, at least sends the message that Mr. Cuomo does not have carte blanche and people are watching.

Comment

Well, I have to admit, Paladino is at about 100 on my list of people I would like to see as Governor. Unfortunately, Cuomo is at about 1000. Personally, I resent the fact that Cuomo was ?groomed? for this and it was, in essence, given to him. We do not live in a monarchy and for good reason.
        Uhhhhhhh...I seem to remember two Bush's (three if you count Barbara).
        And would it be so terrible if he was "groomed for it", as you put it, but he turns out to be a good Governor?

As for voting for Paladino to send Cuomo a message, that's a pretty dangerous strategy.

Comment

I can't even imagine voting for a person who is so obviously unstable.

Comment

The rent is too d*mn high.

Comment

I'm really amazed that there has been so little discussion of the election on here. In years past, interesting discussion went on - and, in some cases, with too much acrimony for my taste, but still there was good back-and-forth.

I agree with JoJe's comment about "grooming" and don't understand why Cuomo's position at HUD during the Clinton administration was never raised during the campaign, since his policies were, in very large part, directly responsible for the collapse of the housing, banking and credit markets.

I also agree with JoJe in that it "at least sends the message that (any candidate) does not have carte blanche and people are watching." I wish that we had a voting option that would clearly send that message with, for example, votes for "None of the Above" or "Pro, but with Reservations".

I disagree with JoJe's statement "...the voters need to retain the power to keep someone good and need to take the responsibility to 'throw the bums out'..." and offer as evidence Charlie Rangle's overwhelming win when his House trial is about to start in 12 days. Even with term limits, incumbents need only sit out two terms before they can run again.

JoJe, I understand what you're saying about voting straight line Republican in this instance and I'm not refering to that as I say that I've never understood people who, year after year, say that they're voting the "straight party line" or vote blindly according to what the local club (of any party) says. In a democracy, even if one agrees in principle with the standards of a party, one is still obliged to make an effort to learn and understand the positions of all candidates. Unfortunately, the media do not usually offer more than cursory information and do not demand and push that candidates be specific in their campaign promises. Saying that "I have a plan that will create jobs/end the deficit/protect us from terrorism/guarantee tenants' rights/put a chicken in every pot etc etc" does nothing to give me an understanding of the "How" on issues. We can assume that all candidates will claim to love Mom, Home and Apple Pie, but tell me how you'll show that love. In our country, where, on average, only about one-third of registered voters bother to vote, these points become even more critical.

Magpie, I don't catch your meaning when you refer to Barbara Bush ("seem to remember two Bush's [three if you count Barbara]"). I don't recall any controversy over her taking too active a role when her husband was in the White House.

Finally, catalyst: as usual you hit the nail right on the head!

Comment

We all have/had different criteria when voting. As for me, my civil rights or lack there of come first above all else. Until LGBT people are treated equally and fairly with laws to back that up I will never vote Republican. That's not to say all Democrats are God's gift to Gays, but I know I'd fare better with Democrats then I ever would with Republicans... on a side note, it always amazes me how, (non LGBT), family and friends don't think twice about asking me for favors, money, expensive gifts for their kids, wedding, shower,engagement, christening, anniversary gifts etc. but NEVER consider me when voting...

Comment

Working...
                X