• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My thoughts about Obama, Dem Party, & issues of our nati

Magpie-- right on----- you are soooo right

Comment

Well magpie, I hate to say it, but that's a very simplistic view of what happened. It's a view that says everything that happens while a president is president must be attributed to that president. Anything that happens when the next guy is president can only be attributed to the next guy and so on. So nothing Johnson did could have had any effect whatsoever on future administrations, in this view.

However, it was the massive government spending on poverty during the Johnson years that led to the massive deficits and INFLATION in the double digits and unemployment in the double digits of the Carter years. Oh and by the way, I don't know if you noticed, but that poverty problem never got solved - did it?! No matter how many billions government spent on it. Yes, a lot of money was spent on the less fortunate, but it was spent in unwise ways that ultimately did nothing to fix the problem of poverty. You could say, we didn't get our money's worth - to put it nicely.

The Republican view is that they want to solve poverty too. They just think there are better ways than forcing millions of citizens to hand over more of their hard-earned money so the government can give it away to poor people (or who politicians call -- future constituents)!

I don't know if you remember... but you mentioned the hard times under Reagan. Those hard times began when Carter was president. And I think they can be attributed more to Johnson's huge deficit spending than they can to anything Carter did in his 4 short years. But there was a terrible recession, worse than the one today by most measures, (unemployment was higher, inflation was far higher, interest rates were through the roof), and that's what Reagan inherited when he came into office.

Today when I point out that the Obama "stimulus" hasn't really done much, Democrats usually respond by saying "well, Obama inherited this mess from Bush, he certainly can't solve it in just a year or two."

But they're unwilling to give Reagan that same leeway. That makes it partisan. They're not being honest or objective observers of our world, but they have a partisan agenda they want to push. And their agenda is to say whatever supports their side (factual or not, doesn't matter) and hurts the other side.

Reagan did indeed inherit a terrible recession from Carter, including an oil crisis (remember that)?

Reagan was sworn into office in January 1981. He immediately slashed 40,000 federal government jobs, he got a major tax reduction passed, and he continued cutting government waste everywhere he could. BUT, the recession continued to get worse for his first two years in office. 1981 was really bad, and 1982 was worse.

But guess what happened? In 1983 things began to quickly turn around. By 1984 things were improving so fast that he won re-election in the biggest landslide in American history. His opponent, Walter Mondale only won one state... his home state of Minnesota!

The economy continued to grow at a tremendous rate all the way until the end of the 1990s. It grew so much that the only way Democrats could find to run against it was to call it the DECADE OF GREED. But now we all wish that kind of economy would come back.

Anyway, see how when you begin to actually look at the details of what happened it gets less clear? And you may want to keep it simple, and ignore the details of what happened. But if you do, and if millions of Americans do, then we're doomed to repeat the same mistakes and the same bad times over and over again.

We are RESPONSIBLE in this country for choosing our leaders. And if we do a good job we can prevent these kinds of things from happening. But if we don't, we can't. And the only way we can responsibly choose our leaders is by being as well informed as we possibly can.

I'm sorry but to say "I'm simple, so don't bother me with the facts" really is a cop out - that millions of Americans have indulged in and has brought us to our current situation! So I encourage you to study and learn. And be among the Americans that are making informed choices when they vote.

Comment

Bravo, Jonathan!

Comment

Jonathan, no matter how much we study, and no matter how much you (or anyone else) thinks they know about politics, it's going to be more of the same as long as there IS a politics. It's a blame game and instead of a steadying two-party system all we get is "the other". If there's trouble in a Democratic administration then it's because the Republicans made the mess, and likewise if there's trouble in a Republican administration it's because the Democrats made the mess. As long as we have "the other" to blame we can deflect the problems that really need to be addressed.

If you think the Republicans have the answers, so be it. You'll be a Republican no matter what. Same can be said for Democrats.

By the way, just for the record -- I actually have a degree, two in fact. And I still take courses because as a senior I can get college courses at discounts, and when we recently asked the professor what he felt the future holds, he said he doesn't have the answers either.

So while I respect your views and your right to those views, I just want to say that sometimes the most difficult and honest appraisals are from simple observations.

Comment

Well, if we can't THINK and figure out who causes what, then we're pretty much doomed. I don't share your pessimistic view though magpie that nothing we do matters. This is one of the few countries in the world where what we do can actually make a difference. It may not be instant, it may be slow, but a difference will be made eventually if the people know what they're doing and put hteir minds to it and exercise a little patience and persistence.

On the financial crisis if we can't see that spending a TRILLION dollars hasn't helped, then we're really doomed to go broke. Just today figures came out that 39,000 private-sector jobs were lost last month. How is it possible that we could be losing jobs after we've spent a TRILLION dollars to stimulate the economy!? Well, I'll tell you... because the stimulus didn't work!

Goldman Sachs says the economy is likely to be "bad" or "very bad" over the next 6-9 months. How is that the stimulus working? http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...-possible.html

Food Stamp recipients are at a RECORD HIGH! http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...-u-s-says.html how's that stimulus working again???

The income of NEW YORKERS has fallen 3.1% in the last year - the first time New Yorkers have experienced a net decrease in income in 70 YEARS!!! http://www.cnbc.com/id/39531849

So somebody please... tell me how government spending $1 TRILLION has saved the economy??? Anyone can see the economy has gotten progressively WORSE over the last year and a half. And that's a year and a half after the Democratic party had to pass whatever they wanted because they had huge controlling majorities in both houses, plus the White House. And they did pass exactly what they wanted and it's been a failure.

If we can learn from this, we can avoid repeating the mistake.

Comment

If we can learn from this, we can avoid repeating the mistake.

Hmmmmm....so maybe it's time for a WOMAN President....

Comment

Just to clarify before anyone goes off on a toot -- I wouldn't vote for the female candidates being presented so far. I'd hope to see a woman more capable and I know they must be out there...somewhere... And frankly, I'm not that thrilled with the males either.

Suggestions for candidates??????? Any Party? Any Gender?

Should we set up a separate blog just to entertain thoughts on this?

Comment

Magpie, we sure agree on the lack of good candidates out there!

I don't care if it's a man or a woman, my race or some other race... none of that makes a bit of difference. The only thing I care about is are they competent and do they have views and opinions that will make them successful in the office.

One more quick example that I read just this morning. Remember when they were passing health care and they were accused of wanting to put private insurers out of business so the government could totally take over all of health care? And remember how they promised us that wasn't their intent? But we could see whether it was their intent or not - that would be the final result.

And here you have it - reported this morning by none other than MSNBC that the health care bill is now causing insurance companies to contemplate closing down in certain markets, providing more limited forms of coverage, or going out of business all together!

That is exactly what many said would happen. But the people in power said it wouldn't happen. So who was right? And if they weren't right, why should we give them our votes again?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39548132...ew_york_times/

Comment

Please Read - If this is your first time here - 04-26-2006 until 05-27-2016

Since so many people seem to want to talk about politics and other controversial topics - although that's not really the main thrust of this web site - I've decided to make this special controversial section where you can talk about whatever you want. (And if you don't like controversial topics, then you might want to stay away from this area).

Just a couple of things. This isn't a political or controversy-oriented web site - so there are a few things I won't put up with that most political/controversial sites will. The first is name-calling. No name-calling! And no personal attacks.

Please remember, everyone is free to have their own personal opinions - even if you find them abhorrent! Please treat those with whom you disagree with courtesy and respect. Remember, they're your neighbors!

Hi Jonthan..... just for clarification.... your "Please Read" post had me a bit confused..... political posts are OK then? After reading your original post it made me think that Mojo's response was correct...........thanks again..... :-)

Comment

Hi Mowgli,

I meant that political posts are okay "here" - meaning here in this forum called Controversial.

Comment

Working...
                      X