Thompson/Bloomberg/McMillan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thompson/Bloomberg/McMillan

has Bloomberg done anything, really, for us non-elites?

I'm not voting for him, no way, not with his silent condoning of the Rent Control Board, the place that raises (tens of?) thousands of New Yorkers rent -- when Social Security has decided not to increase, because there is NO inflation; and as rent is hugely important, you can't convinced me he cares about us -- what he's spending tons of money on.

But, as I am pessimistically prognosticating that he will get his third term,I'm really asking: has he done anything of real value, for real people?

Re: Thompson/Bloomberg/McMillan

NO- yet he is sure to get in anyway

Comment

I don't think Thompson will be any better than Bloomberg.

Comment

the only good thing about Bloomberg is he doesnt get a pay check- saving us money- since he is one of the richest guys around its too bad he can not use his own money for more stuff-- MTA? etc.

Comment

One good thing Bloomberg does is contribute money from his charitable organization to the arts whenever the budget calls for cuts in the arts. Somewhere when it was discovered he said the arts are a large part of why this city is special so if we need money for that the budget can't provide, he's happy to use his wealth he got from working in the greatest city to the greatest city. That is a good thing I think. I feel like Thompson is trying to run on "He's rich so he only supports the rich" campaign without telling how he would run the city better. We are lucky to have someone who isn't beholding to anyone.

Comment

He gives money to the arts, isn't that nice. Maybe he doesn't have the balls to supervise or change the rent control board, he bought the mayorship, and has to be careful whom he pisses off. But I MUCH more think who he helps out landlords, not tenants. Just a small part (sarcasm) of the city.

Comment

Just a question to everyone -- can you really think of *any* mayor who helped tenants and not landlords???? After the Urstadt law around 1967 it gave the state control and took it out of the hands of the City. The Rent Guidelines Board is a joke -- a bad joke, I might add, and the same rent fights that I fought 40 and more years ago are just about the same ones that are still being fought today, except inflation has made it seem worse. I don't think Bloomberg has done a bad job as mayor and I guess I'd rather go with someone whose track record I know than someone whose record I don't know, especially in these difficult times.

Comment

If he bought the mayorship I never got my check. People elect the mayor. It's the same thing about the overturning of term limits. It just gives us the chance to vote for the third term of the mayor. No one compels us to vote one way or another. I think we have to objectively say who can do the best job in these times. A telling moment for me was at the end of the last debate. Both candidates were asked to rate the other. Thompson said,"I will be generous, I'll give my opponent a D-". No one laughed but it gave us pause. Bloomberg said, "I think Bill Thompson has been the best comptroller we've ever had, certainly that I've worked with, I just don't believe he's the best person to lead this city in these difficult times." It reminded me of a Palin/Biden moment. Thompson unfortunately was Palin. Fear vs. substance.

Comment

Working...
                X