Global Warming / Poison Water!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming / Poison Water!

I just wanted to ask you guys what you would think of someone who is so hyped up about CO2 emissions that he thinks they're poisoning the water we drink and the air we breath?

Wouldn't you all agree that's not a scientific view? And wouldn't you agree that anyone who says CO2 emissions are making water undrinkable and air unbreathable doesn't know what they're talking about? That this person is rather untethered from science?

Re: Global Warming / Poison Water!

Tarmill, it's funny no one is answering you! Seems like a pretty straightforward question. Maybe they think it's a trick question and they're afraid to answer it!

Comment

Well, I am answering it. I heard a terrifying report on WNYC radio on Monday night. 7/6 at 9pm about the effect of "endocrine disruptors" in our water. I little about it but the explanation given made sense. There are many reasons why we should pay attention: scientists are finding terrible abnormalities in frogs, fish and now in children, especially genital malformation. Among the many causes are the uncontrolled, unregulated use of pesticides in agriculture and gardening and the widespread use of plastics to store food and feed infants. Plastics are also present in many creams, cosmetics and shampoos, thus pentrating our largest organ, the skin.
      Eco-thinker and other sites like the endocrine society provide more in-depth information.

Comment

I forgot to add that they also mentioned that women who take the birth control pill pass the extra estrogen into the sewage system which "seeps" into our water system (now, there's a lovely thought!). I don't t know about
        CO2 emissions, but I suspect they don't help.

Comment

Please read what I wrote under "Is It a Scientific Statement?" in this section and also "Our Water Supply and Our Future" under Controversial.

Comment

Re: Global Warming vs. Poisoned thought!

Originally posted by tarmill View Post
            I just wanted to ask you guys what you would think of someone who is so hyped up about CO2 emissions that he thinks they're poisoning the water we drink and the air we breath?

Wouldn't you all agree that's not a scientific view? And wouldn't you agree that anyone who says CO2 emissions are making water undrinkable and air unbreathable doesn't know what they're talking about? That this person is rather untethered from science?
            Tarmill: Forgive my approaching your question with a question but are you really concerned about "someone being hyped up" or are you trying to generate a 'discussion' about pollution?

As you know I have no problem addressing any statement or position that I agree or disagree with, but am not willing to take the bait with such a slanted question that ultimatly makes no statement.

Why disparage the person you apparently disagree with by saying they are "untethered from science"? You haven't given any reason for me to make take that position. If, as you claim, this person's view is not "scientific" can you not offer any "scientific" data to the contrary?

And finally, a direct answer: No, I would not agree that anyone who says CO2 is having a detrimental effect on the environment "doesn't know what they are talking about".

Your questions are misleading & have smell of Hannity, Beck & O'Reilly, some of the leading "scientists" of our time.

I would be happy to discuss this topic & match any issue you may have with either what I or someone else says, but please try to stick to the basic rules of debate by using a point-counterpoint system, otherwise you sound like another of those shouting heads that exhibit a mentality similar to those who bomb schools.

"Cogito, ergo sum"-"I think, therefore I am" -- Ren? Descartes

What's Fox's excuse? selling soap? Timeshares? Gold? Or just using fear for ratings?

I find them way too transparent for words.

CD
            NYC
            Need computer assistance?
            See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Well said, CDNYC Just to add something that would probably be supported by any scientist, while CO2 may not poison our water, when that CO2 is absorbed by that water from the air, if that water is free of other contaminants, it will make the water acidic (carbonic acid), and presumably if the water becomes sufficiently acidic, it will be toxic. If the water has other contaminants in it, then I believe the CO2 is capable of reacting with that contaminant directly, or the acidified water will react with it, and will form some other compound, which, depending on what that other contaminant is, may also make the water toxic, and just how toxic will depend on the quantities of carbon absorbed, and just how much of the other substances are present in the water.

Comment

Since Naiad has mentioned endocrine disruptors in his blog, I would like to connect that with another situation that I've discussed under "Our Water Supply and Our Future". You may not have been following the issue of horizontal hydraulic fracturing of the Marcellus Shale geological formation Upstate for its stored natural gas, but if Gov. Paterson has his way, that could begin by the end of this year (2010) if not sooner, and the endocrine disruptors in water supplies affected by that drilling activity could make for a huge boost in their content, and because there have been various other contributors to that content up to the present, it would be a pretty tough case to make in any court action against the "fracking" companies that their activity, with their use of endocrine disrupting chemicals in their fracturing fluids have been the largest contributor to those endocrine disruptors in the State's water supplies.

If only people were more alert to this threat and were ready to take action to block horizontal hydraulic fracturing for natural gas in New York State. I'm just afraid that there are so many distractions of public attention that we can't get many of our legislators (so far not Tom Duane and Dick Gottfried) to take decisive action on the bills that have been pending in Albany.

There is a belief that natural gas will give this country energy independence, but I have to say that there is probably no more that three decades of natural gas supply in the Marcellus Shale, and for that we could be paying a huge price in terms of our health and the permanent disappearance of various Upstate industries that exist now.
                Last edited by Verizoff; 07-04-2010, 11:40 PM. Reason: Found some unnecessary wordiness

Comment

The Hudson Park organization wants the neighborhoods around the Hudson parks to pay extra taxes (as I understand it, like, $75 per resident a year?!) to cover what they couldn't cover themselves.
                  So. Today there is a commercial event. I have no access to the large lawn over there. Old Navy, with a staff of about 50, and big speakers, and I can hear their music here about seven blocks away.

Yeah, I want to pay taxes on this.
                  We are the pioneers in providing Pass4sure - 300-206 - pass4sure.co.uk dumps and wikipedia

Comment

Working...
                  X