Caroline Kennedy for Senator?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caroline Kennedy for Senator?

I was pretty disappointed to see the poll this morning on 1010wins where a majority voted against her.

http://www.1010wins.com/

Is Caroline Kennedy is qualified to become a Senator?

Yes, she will hit the ground running.
    39%
    No, she doesn't have the experience.
    61%

Re: Caroline Kennedy for Senator?

I don't necessarily think they voted against her -- I think they merely stated the obvious -- that of all the possible candidates she really doesn't have the experience. However, as I am older and very jaded now, I think we should wait and see whether money,name,connections trump experience.

Comment

Lots of people get into office w/o experience -- w/o mentioning any names, the "first person" that comes to mind recently had shoes thrown at him in another country.

I think Caroline has the experience from being a firsthand witness sitting in the passenger seat of so many incredible political vehicles, and she seems like an extremely sincere person. I hope Davie picks her.

Comment

It so crazy, what experience are you looking for? How many spouses (with no experience) have taken over the seats of deceased spouses and have gone on to do extremely well. Look at her cousin-in-law, Arnold, what experience did he have before becoming governor of Calif. It might be nice to have someone that is not a career politician.

Comment

Reader today's newspaper and checking out Caroline Kennedy's education she certainly has gone to the very best college and law school and is no more or less qualified then Hilary is. When Hillary ran I couldnt believe it as I thought she didnt have experience and was not from NY either but now looking at Caroline dhe seems to have very similar background with a law degree also and at least she has been in NY State a lot longer. It looks like she is now ready to come out of her shell and continue the great work expected from the Kennedy clan. It's up to Patterson to decide though.

Comment

Originally posted by JimR View Post
            Look at her cousin-in-law, Arnold, what experience did he have before becoming governor of Calif. It might be nice to have someone that is not a career politician.
            Jim, I think you just made the perfect argument against people with no experience! Would you call Arnold's reign a smashing success? Looks like to me he's just about run California into the ground. If that's the kind of results you're looking for then maybe Caroline is your girl!

Comment

Originally posted by Vidis View Post
              Lots of people get into office w/o experience -- w/o mentioning any names, the "first person" that comes to mind recently had shoes thrown at him in another country.
              And like the NEXT occupant! Need anyone mention his lack of qualifications and and complete lack of experience? And I certainly hope he never gets a shoe thrown at him.

Comment

Originally posted by tarmill View Post
                Jim, I think you just made the perfect argument against people with no experience! Would you call Arnold's reign a smashing success? Looks like to me he's just about run California into the ground. If that's the kind of results you're looking for then maybe Caroline is your girl!
                Well, Tarmill, I never thought I'd agree with you on a political topic, but on this one--I do. I'm very much against CK for Senate.

There's no comparison to Obama here--Obama was legitimately elected to his Senate seat in a popular election and he did have experience in his state and local government. Even if you dislike him, you have to admit he actually spent his adult life working in some form of government and community service. Obama also had to work his tail off for everything he did, because he didn't have a famous Mommy and Daddy paving the way for him. Hillary Clinton...actually spent many years working as a fairly influential attorney before her husband went to the White House, so she had some relevant experience in government and law too.

Caroline Kennedy...is a Kennedy. She went to a good school. So did a lot of others. She was handed an appointment on the Board of Ed because of her family name. Has she ever even been a practicing attorney?

Let's be honest, if she's handed this Senate seat it will be for one reason and one reason only: because she's a Kennedy. That's not good enough, especially when we do have a lot of other people who would be better qualified.

Comment

Alexis, I knew if we talked long enough eventually we'd hit something we agreed on! And we agree on something else as well. Obama does have real political experience and Ms. Kennedy does not. He has held and served in an elected capacity. I don't think he's had enough experience to make a competent president (at least not right off the bat), but I genuinely hope I'm wrong about that.

I think it would be a good idea for any governor charged with the responsibility of appointing someone to fill a Senate seat that they should first be required to appoint someone who has held some kind of elected office - even if it's mayor of a tiny town. But to appoint someone who has NEVER held any elected office strikes me as not putting the welfare of the people first.

I hate to say this, and I certainly have nothing to base it on, but what's going on in Illinois is really making me wonder if something like that might be going on in New York. As much as I dislike him, wouldn't someone like Sheldon Silver be a better choice than Caroline Kennedy? At least he has real political experience and he knows something about what it means to answer to the people.

But if CK is appointed and does a good job, maybe the job's not that hard! How hard could it really be when you think about it, to tow the party line?

Comment

By the way, interesting article in the NY Times today about this and they brought something up I was thinking about. Remember how everyone said they simply couldn't support John McCain because Sarah Palin was too inexperienced? Well she was governor of a state! Now, many of these same people are apparently unbothered by the fact that Kennedy has NO experience!

And her inexperience shows in the exchange below. She sounds pretty pathetic here.
                    SYRACUSE — In a carefully controlled strategy reminiscent of the vice-presidential hopeful Sarah Palin, aides to Caroline Kennedy interrupted her on Wednesday and whisked her away when she was asked what her qualifications are to be a United States senator.

When one reporter asked what she would tell New Yorkers who question whether she has the qualifications for the job, Ms. Kennedy, 51, started to respond. But then an aide stopped her from saying more, and led her to the waiting vehicle.

“Hopefully I can come back and answer all those questions,” she called out as she got into the S.U.V.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/18/ny...18upstate.html
                    "Hopefully I can come back and answer those questions?" How about, "I will come back and answer all those questions"? Or better yet, "I'll answer them now"!? She's running for a very high-level office and she doesn't control whether or not she'll come back and answer those questions! "Hopefully I'll come back."? Talk about being "handled"! Maybe someone will let her know soon.

Comment

She seems boring. As in not that intelligent. And unimaginative. And she does say "you know" a lot A lot.

Comment

Originally posted by 10/11block View Post
                        She seems boring. As in not that intelligent. And unimaginative. And she does say "you know" a lot A lot.

Ugh, I hate "you know"!
                        I always say, "no, I don't know, that's why I'm asking you".

I haven't noticed it, I will have to pay more attention, ya know ;-)

Comment

I'm not happy with Caroline Kennedy as Senator either. I'm not anti-Kennedy; in fact, I actively supported Ted Kennedy in the Democratic primaries and travelled to several states on his behalf. But Caroline is another story. I don't even think she's had a job. Essentially, she's been a stay-at-home mom with a few pet projects.

I wasn't thrilled with Hillary when she came to NY, but at least, as first lady in Arkansas and the White House, she had responsible things to do everyday. And if given the choice between her and maybe Mark Green, I might not have picked her. Looking back now, I'm glad Hillary was in (except for one particular vote on Iraq that was very unfortunate.) So for the most part, no regrets.

Comment

On the possitive sign Caroline Kennedy has been around politics all her life. She is so rich she does not have to work, Caroline had been away from the media for a long time but has become more outspoken lately doing volunteer work forthe dept. of education. She is a lawyer at least but what other qualifications does she really have? Hilary also is a carpetbagger and she never really should have been a senator for that matter any more then Caroline. She also is a lawyer - former president's wife. Does that make her a senator? She did not belong in NY State either as she really was not a NY er. She should have been a senator in chicago LOL

Comment

Caroline was born and raised in New York City. People seem to think she's from Massachusetts. She's not. She's lived in New York almost her entire life. That being said, I still don't think she's up to the job. I think she'd be wise to wait and practice some public speaking and run in 2010. Her recent interviews were disasters.

Comment

Working...
                              X