Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama or McCain?

I'm for Obama!

I like Joe Biden, and I can't stand Palin. You folks?

Btw, you might want to check out a very cool site/map for tracking the candidates' electoral votes. Along with the map, there's an electoral graph of their progress up to now, and lots of other cool stuff:

http://electoral-vote.com/

Re: Obama or McCain?

Thanks for the web site. I'm definitely going to share it with my friends.

As for Gov. Palin, she worries me a bit. In brief YouTube clips she sounds pretty coherent, well spoken. I saw Newt Gingrich on TV this morning trying to lay out the claim that she has MORE experience than Barak Obama. This was based on the fact that she was a Chief Executive and neither Obama or Biden have ever been "more than" legislators! And because she was responsible for the Alaska National Guard, she has MORE experience as a Commander in Chief, too !

As I think Lewis Carroll said, "Curiouser and Curiouser."

Thank goodness there are only two months left for this mess to play out!

Comment

Just re-read that, and I want to make sure you don't misinterpret what I said. I DO NOT agree with Gingrich, I'm astonished at this apparent Republican tactic.

Comment

I support Obama also. I like the idea of a woman on the ticket but this woman is an ultra right wing conservative. Choosing her McCain can appease the conservative base he can't afford to lose and also perhaps gather some glimpses from disgruntled Hillary supporters. Initially I was a Hillary supporter but since she didn't get the nomination, I think the only hope we have is Obama. It will be nice when this hot mess is settled.

Comment

When you've got a presidential candidate as old as (and with so much past cancer as) McCain, it's a significant possibility that he may die in office. I do not think for a moment that Palin is ready to be our president. Period. She's too green in nearly every way.

As for her being a woman, the Democrats nominated a female vice president nearly a quarter century ago... it's nice for the Republicans to finally catch up, though, even if she was chosen because more for her biology than for her qualifications.

McCain is too entrenched in Washington politics. He owes too many people too many favors. Career lobbyists are even running his campaign. No, thanks.

I think it's also significant that Obama is so popular worldwide. That's no small measure of how other countries would be willing to work with America on the many international issues that face us.

Comment

I think this article explains a lot. You can read the whole thing at

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9081825AAlmbq2

Did you know Sarah Palin's husband works for BP offshore oil co who has been trying to increase taxes on oil?

What a conflict of interest. I am so friggin sick of Republicans who do nothing but raise oil prices. First the Bush and Cheney oil clan, Condaleeza used to be an executive at Shell, and now the VP is a little devil in disguise, whose husband has been giving the green light to do offshore oil drilling in Northern Alaska and who has helped contribute to the rise in oil prices. I guess it really is true that gas will go to $7/gallon with Republicans in office. Wake up! Don't let the economy take a further dive, not that I like Obama, but I don't want to be robbed further by these oil theives either who are driving record inflation.
            • 1 day ago
            Additional Details

1 day ago
            Todd Palin, who took college courses, but does not have a degree, said he is grateful for the training he received from the multinational oil company BP starting in 1989.

Comment

I think Palin is an awful choice for the republican ticket. So what if she is a hockey mom LOL

Comment

I find McCain's pic condescending to women. The people who voted for Hilary wanted Hilary not just any woman. Palin's so called experience in fighting corrupt pols is misleading since most of the work was done by the FBI and IRS she just benefitted from the work of those agencies.

In a way I am also glad Obama didn't pick Hilary for VP, she'll be a more valuable asset in the Senate and as a committee chair for him.

Comment

and now it is noted on AOL that Palin;s l7 year old daughter is pregnant and plans on marrying the guy. GEE what next

Comment

I think the kids are off base and should be left out of the picture. It will be interesting how the conseratiive christians will react. So much for teaching abstinence

Comment

I really was impressed with Obama's response to this latest revelation. He emphatically said "Families, and especially children are off limits. " He said this with dignity and I believe it shows his wisdom. When Kerry mentioned the fact that Cheney's daughter was a lesbian he was rightly assailed for his insensitivity. Political people have to have some sense of decency if they want to make it these days. No one is perfect. I really hope Obama wins. I think he could be a great president.

Comment

Originally posted by momjo View Post
                        and now it is noted on AOL that Palin;s l7 year old daughter is pregnant and plans on marrying the guy. GEE what next
                        What I find funny is how they immediately jump out with, "But don't worry! She WILL marry him." As if that will solve everything.
                        www.shardsofglass.etsy.com, www.shardsofglassmosaics.blogspot.com

Comment

Ahhh, how I love the diversity of opinion here in Chelsea! Good to see you all having so much trouble coming to a consensus on the race!

The thing I'd most like to respond here is Magpie's post on oil. I find this especially frustrating because there's just nothing to support these views.

Originally posted by magpie View Post
                          I think this article explains a lot. You can read the whole thing at

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9081825AAlmbq2
                          1st Rule of the Internet: Just because you can link to it - doesn't make it true! Magpie, I hope you'll take note that Yahoo has deleted this post. Probably because it was based on opinion - not fact. Also, answers.yahoo.com is a site where anybody can post "answers" so you have to be really careful about quoting anything there. It's not a primary source of information. (Kind of like this site)!

Did you know Sarah Palin's husband works for BP offshore oil co who has been trying to increase taxes on oil?
                          Ok, please... so many inaccuracies here. First of all, it's Barack Obama and the Democrats who are trying to increase taxes on oil. Since when did a company ever ask for higher taxes on itself? Why in the world do you think BP would be asking the government to tax it more!? Do they feel they're not taxed enough already?

I am so friggin sick of Republicans who do nothing but raise oil prices.
                          Magpie, Republicans don't control the price of oil anymore than Democrats do. Oil prices are set on a world market that isn't controlled by any single entity. Saudi Arabia doesn't even control the price of oil! Yes, of course they have considerable influence over it - but not even they can control it completely.

If Republicans controlled the price of oil, don't you think it would be smart of them to keep it as low as possible so they could win reelection? It's going to be hard for them to keep helping out their buddies in the oil business if they're thrown out of office!

and now the VP is a little devil in disguise, whose husband has been giving the green light to do offshore oil drilling in Northern Alaska and who has helped contribute to the rise in oil prices.
                          Okay Magpie, I want you to be really serious with me and try and explain to me how offshore drilling makes the price of oil increase.

Do you think the price of oil would go way down to affordable levels if we just stopped drilling altogether?

I guess it really is true that gas will go to $7/gallon with Republicans in office.
                          It's not really who's in office, it's what they do while they're there. So speaking generically, if the government continues to make the retrieval of our own natural resources illegal, then yes there's a good chance the price of oil will go up. If the government decides to allow us to access our own natural resources, then there's a good possibility it will go down.

I don't know why it is so hard for so many Chelseans to understand these basics of a market economy, but generally the MORE you have of something the less it will cost. And the less you have of something the MORE it will cost. It's really simple economics.

And what you are saying Magpie, basically is that because the Republicans want to let us drill - thereby INCREASING our supply - that that will somehow cause the price to go UP. Well no, the price will go up if we don't find a way to increase how much we have. The Democrats for whatever reason are adamant that we not allow ourselves to drill for oil - they have made accessing our own natural resources a crime. That will tend to keep the supply low - and therefore the price high.

So, if you don't want $7 a gallon gasoline, if that's genuinely your concern, you would want to vote for whoever says "let's drill".

Wake up! Don't let the economy take a further dive, not that I like Obama, but I don't want to be robbed further by these oil theives either who are driving record inflation.
                          Magpie, please. It's one thing to be enthusiastic about your views, but you don't have to make things up. We are not living through record inflation. That would have been during the depression and during the Carter years. There is no record inflation today.

But, I agree with you. I don't want to be robbed either by those whose actions in office would keep oil prices sky high. That's one reason I'll be voting for McCain. He promises to let us drill. (And he's a big supporter of nuclear power.) That will have the effect of bringing oil prices down.

1 day ago
                          Todd Palin, who took college courses, but does not have a degree, said he is grateful for the training he received from the multinational oil company BP starting in 1989.
                          Ok, so? So what? Does that make him evil? I'm not getting your point. He expressed gratitude for the training he received from a multinational oil company. Why is that bad? Do you believe oil companies are evil? Or just the multinational ones? I'm sorry, I'm really missing your point here. We wouldn't have oil without oil companies. So I don't understand your complaint.

If you do happen to think oil companies (and other companies) are evil, I'd strongly urge you to read this article:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2008-03-...-dead-liberal/

Comment

Tarmill,
                            Not that I really *have* to respond to your post, but I feel I should since you seem to imply that I was the writer of the post I referenced. You are the one who is very misled -- I merely put a link on the board -- I did not write it. However, considering all the problems that have occurred in the last few years over oil (which I won't bother to enumerate here since we're all affected by it one way or another) I don't think I'd want a VP who's that invested in oil.

Comment

Magpie, I'm sorry - I didn't mean to imply you wrote that if you didn't. I thought you did. But you did post it, so that would imply you agreed with it. anyway, I was just responding to what was said - regardless of who said it. I hear a lot of people say it.

I also hear a lot of people say they don't want someone as president who has any association whatsoever with oil. I've really never understood that. I wonder if someone - maybe you magpie - could explain how a president having an association with oil adversely affects our nation.

Comment

Working...
                              X