Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh fruit & veggies?? Menus with calorie counts???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh fruit & veggies?? Menus with calorie counts???

Maybe I'm nuts...but didn't I hear Bloomberg call for more fresh fruit and vegetables should be available in neighborhoods????? I could swear I heard that restaurants now must post calorie counts because obesity is becoming a major health issue.

If that's so...someone please explain why the wonderful and affordable fruit & veg stand on 23rd & 8th is being plagued and ticketed regularly for having a stand a bit over the 6 foot requirement!!!

Not everyone can afford Whole Food or Gristede's hi-end prices for those items. Aren't we entitled to the same health considerations as other neighborhoods?

Someone please call attention to this looney contradiction and get something done to keep Chelsea-ites healthy, slim and not deeply in debt as well!!!!! jCall our Mayor and ask!

Re: Fresh fruit & veggies?? Menus with calorie counts???

That fruit stand is just wonderful. To your surprise though the strawberries have been on sale in whole foods for $2.50 while that just wonderful fruit stand had it priced for $3.00 the same day. So you have to watch your prices. Sometimes that yuppy place is cheaper. I don't mind supporting that lady who runs that fruit stand as she is a hard worker and has raised a family while working on the corner.

Comment

For folks who live near 14th Street - the Associated has blueberries from New Jersey for just $1.99 a pint box. Yes, the boxes are filled up to the top! This is the second week of the sale and I've been buying them everyday and have not had a bad box yet. If you haven't been to the Associated for a long time it is nice and clean .

Comment

Yes that associated is very clean and lots of my neighbor schlep over there to save money. I think and u may correct me but I think whole foods had it for that price last week or maybe it was $2.99. Also mangoes on the corner of 8th and 23rd St. Mangoes were going for one mangoe $1.50 and whole foods has it this week at 50 percent off at $1.50 tw o mangoes which is great.

Comment

It was $2.99 at Whole Foods. Don't get me wrong, I love Whole Foods and I don't think they are as expensive as people say especially if you compare their prices to Dagostinos!

Comment

Actually lately I have started to shop back at Dags. I stopped shopping there for the most part when whole foods opened and then they closed the one near us on 23rd St. btw. 8th and 9th Avenues. I find their prices cheaper then gristedes. The store closest is on 17th St, off 8th Avenue. Yolato gelato bars are over 5 dollars I think in Gristedes and they are on sale at Dags this week for like around $3.00. The breads are definitely cheaper and selection better like the Ecce Panis bread and LaBrea bread. The sushi is fresh- cheaper then other places and the lady makes it fresh each day. They always have had good meat too. You really have to shop around and compare prices as Dags used to be more expensive. Dags employees are also union workers. I was really surprised when I went back to shopping at DAGS that compared to gristedes the prices ae less and with your savings card you save even more. Therewas a deal on milk last time I was there. Bottom line shop around.

Comment

I miss the D'Ags on 23rd St!! I really do.

I agree--I love that fruit vendor on 23rd. And I wish they would stop harassing him. He always has the best fruit and veggies, and he's so nice.

Comment

Working...
              X